[SOLVED] Capture Card Output Audio/Xbox One - Need Suggestions

jochs20

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
I'm using a Hauppauge Colossus 2 to record from both my Xbox One and my STB via a HDMI switch that's connected to the capture card. I have zero issues regarding audio when it comes to recording and viewing the preview through software such as OBS. My issue pertains to the output, where I have the capture card connected to one of my monitors.

As of right now, I have two separate 3.5mm cables from my devices to Line In and Mic In and enabled listening to them through Windows 10 respectively. The connection from the STB to my PC is viable for my set up. However, the way I'm currently getting audio from my game console is through the audio port on the bottom of controller. This works well as far as the sound quality goes, but the long cable from the controller kind of makes things awkward.

This is certainly not something that I would unable deal with, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any other possible solutions before having to totally resort to this.

I've tried running one single audio cable from the audio output on my monitor to the hdmi switch, thus eliminating the need for two separate cables.. this just resulted in poor audio quality. Also, there's a several second delay from the capture card input, so using that as an audio source is out of the picture as well.

Relative specs:
Capture Card: Colossus 2
Capture Card Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
DAC/Amplifier: FiiO K3 DSD256
HDMI Switch: Fosmon HD8198
Graphics Card: RTX 2080 TI

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
So I understand what you're saying, you want to hear the audio through your PC headset, but you're connecting the HDMI to your monitor. The easy / affordable answer is the same. You don't have to be running a stream for SLOBS to do it's thing. If you open SLOBS, you can monitor the audio as it comes in, instead of trying to split it off of the output. Does that make sense?

And HDMI audio extractor will probably be okay. They can be a little hit or miss, but most of them, I think, do an alright job.

Good luck!

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
Okay, so I'm not 100% sure I understand your issue, but I want to help.

What are you using to stream? If you're using SLOBS, there is a pretty easy answer.

I generally adjust my audio settings so that SLOBS is monitoring (and not outputting) my capture card's audio, and then I make sure that I am actually outputting the audio from my PC (they usually call it Desktop Audio, or sometimes it's your monitor or your headset or whatever). Generally, we usually already have desktop audio enabled since we're using it for alerts. Then you get your live audio, and it outputs to stream.

jochs20

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
Okay, so I'm not 100% sure I understand your issue, but I want to help.

What are you using to stream? If you're using SLOBS, there is a pretty easy answer.

I generally adjust my audio settings so that SLOBS is monitoring (and not outputting) my capture card's audio, and then I make sure that I am actually outputting the audio from my PC (they usually call it Desktop Audio, or sometimes it's your monitor or your headset or whatever). Generally, we usually already have desktop audio enabled since we're using it for alerts. Then you get your live audio, and it outputs to stream.

This isn't an issue pertaining to streaming/recording. This is regarding the passthrough output most capture cards come with so you can still view the media from whatever device you are using.

I appreciate your response, but I just went ahead and purchased an hdmi audio extractor. I'm hoping it does not degrade the audio quality too much.

Last edited:

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
So I understand what you're saying, you want to hear the audio through your PC headset, but you're connecting the HDMI to your monitor. The easy / affordable answer is the same. You don't have to be running a stream for SLOBS to do it's thing. If you open SLOBS, you can monitor the audio as it comes in, instead of trying to split it off of the output. Does that make sense?

And HDMI audio extractor will probably be okay. They can be a little hit or miss, but most of them, I think, do an alright job.

Good luck!

Solution

jochs20

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
The easy / affordable answer is the same. You don't have to be running a stream for SLOBS to do it's thing. If you open SLOBS, you can monitor the audio as it comes in, instead of trying to split it off of the output.

Unfortunately that's not a solution for me, otherwise I'd be doing that. My capture card has a several second delay.