''Capture the Flag'' Pioneer Closes Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I never realized a company like iD or Valve would need to contract out to another company to write mods for a game as old as time itself. Seriously, you could create a game like Half-Life or Quake but not be bothered to code up your own CTF scenarios? I guess this Threewave Software company was seriously good to get business for this long.

windywoo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
hellwig I think you misunderstand. No-one contracted them to make a Capture the Flag mod, they did it for free. There was no such game mode until they came up with the idea, and because the idea was so good, and one of the guys who made it was also a good programmer, he got employed by id. Seems some of them went on to make their own company too.

figgie

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
hellwig

back in the quake days. There was NO team DM. No CTF or any of mods per say. It was either death match or Co-OP. CTF was added later and with that came the grappling hook. yes, I was playing Quake online via dial-up back then ;)

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Surprisingly Quake lives on since the source code was released (most notably the DarkPlaces engine). I'll have to dig through my archives and tryout Threewave CTF and see how it compared to Team Fortress.

[citation][nom]figgie[/nom]hellwigback in the quake days. There was NO team DM. No CTF or any of mods per say. It was either death match or Co-OP. CTF was added later and with that came the grappling hook. yes, I was playing Quake online via dial-up back then[/citation]

Yeah, me too! I remember staying up all night playing Quake CTF using the grappling hook (I almost forgot about that). I loved it cause I was good at it! I really loved that game so much I wish it was still alive.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
[citation][nom]figgie[/nom]hellwigback in the quake days. There was NO team DM. No CTF or any of mods per say. It was either death match or Co-OP. CTF was added later and with that came the grappling hook. yes, I was playing Quake online via dial-up back then[/citation]

Ahh... the dreaded grappling hook in Quake 1! I REMEMBER THAT! That was a crazy online experience.

G

id resurrected Quake 3 recently at http://www.quakelive.com/

on that note, Tribes 2 was also somewhat resurrected as well at http://www.tribesnext.com/

aeurix

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Threewave, you've brought me many good memories.. R.I.P.

Anyone ever play the Quake CTF runes mod? Would be interesting to see what quakeworld would run like now that I'm not a HPB (back when my 200-400 ping was acceptable :)

Grappling Hook!!! Loved that option when it came out! I remember playing waaayyy too much with Quake, but that was because of the good game play and not really any hacked up bots or players. Pretty even gaming back then (as far as I can remember)!!!

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
But now it looks as if the contract well has run dray, as according this Twitter post, the studio closed due to no new contracts.
dray should be dry

Status
Not open for further replies.