Capturing video to Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion ze5185. It has a built-in firewire connector. I have
a Cardbus with 4pin, 6pin firewire and 2 USB 2.0 connectors.

I would like to be able to capture directly (not going through a digital
camcorder) from a TV source (audio/video or audio/S-video) to my laptop.

I have seen some USB capture devices with about 320 x ? resolution. Is this
the best I can hope for or are there other options?

Thanks,

Allen

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

try:
ADS capture box USB

"vb Al" <alsdy@sonic.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an HP Pavilion ze5185. It has a built-in firewire connector. I
have
> a Cardbus with 4pin, 6pin firewire and 2 USB 2.0 connectors.
>
> I would like to be able to capture directly (not going through a digital
> camcorder) from a TV source (audio/video or audio/S-video) to my laptop.
>
> I have seen some USB capture devices with about 320 x ? resolution. Is
this
> the best I can hope for or are there other options?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allen

rod

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

There are a few devices such as Adaptec Video-oh that capture higher than
320 x ?. They use USB2.0. Anything which uses USB1.1 is going to be low
res as it won't have the bandwidth into the computer. The Adaptec
compresses the signal in the device and streams it in MPEG. Be prepared to
use a lot of disk space - 20 minutes will take up about 1.5gb at DVD
resolution (576 x something I think).

Rod wrote:

> There are a few devices such as Adaptec Video-oh that capture higher than
> 320 x ?. They use USB2.0. Anything which uses USB1.1 is going to be low
> res as it won't have the bandwidth into the computer. The Adaptec
> compresses the signal in the device and streams it in MPEG. Be prepared to
> use a lot of disk space - 20 minutes will take up about 1.5gb at DVD
> resolution (576 x something I think).

Well at least thats better than uncompressed CCIR 601 capture - needs
about 25MB/sec = 1.5GB/minute :)
Thats for 720 x 576 (PAL) and ( think) 720 x 486 for NTSC.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:09:34 GMT, "Sava7" <sava7@aol.com> wrote:

>try:
>ADS capture box USB

Do you have one of those? Can you tell me how does it capture VBR? May
it be actually a CQ mode? And one more thing, does it make a sound use
of B-frames?

rod

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Ha ha, it sure is! Uncompressed video would fill my HDD in about twenty
minutes.

On Mon, 3 May 2004 12:41:56 +1000, "Rod" <rod@rod.com> wrote:

>Uncompressed video would fill my HDD in about twenty
>minutes.

Not, because you would not use uncompressed video, when you can use a
_lossless_ compressed one -or would you?