Capturing video via Firewire

i have a JVC mini-DV video camera. I am attempting to capture video
via a firewire cable.
However all 3 pieces of software I have available to me which claim to
perform the task, don't.

These are :-

Windows Moviemaker
Pixela Imagemixer (came with the camera)
Sonic MyDVD (came with the PC)

They all fail to display the video preview on capture.

My DVD appears to start capturing then stops after a few seconds.
Imagemixer appears to capture but nothing is there (the disk space
doesn't clock down)
Windows moviemaker also appears to capture but nothing is there. In
fact when i stop the capture it says the video was not captured
correctly.

I realise all 3 of these pieces of software are basic, but they should
perform the simple action of capturing to my hard drive. At this stage
I'm not worried about formats or burning to DVD.

I am technical, but Firewire is completely new to me, and I have no
guarantee the card is working properly (though XP sees the camera as
soon as i connect it, and the PC can control the camera tape
perfectly).

Any help would be really appreciated. Is there some sort of simple way
to test out that the firewire card is working ? I have bought two
cables just in case the first was faulty....but the fault remained.

Thanks in advance Ken

Rich

"Ken Russell" <ken@russell16.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> i have a JVC mini-DV video camera. I am attempting to capture video
> via a firewire cable.
> However all 3 pieces of software I have available to me which claim to
> perform the task, don't.
>
> These are :-
>
> Windows Moviemaker
> Pixela Imagemixer (came with the camera)
> Sonic MyDVD (came with the PC)
>
> They all fail to display the video preview on capture.
>
> My DVD appears to start capturing then stops after a few seconds.
> Imagemixer appears to capture but nothing is there (the disk space
> doesn't clock down)
> Windows moviemaker also appears to capture but nothing is there. In
> fact when i stop the capture it says the video was not captured
> correctly.
>
> I realise all 3 of these pieces of software are basic, but they should
> perform the simple action of capturing to my hard drive. At this stage
> I'm not worried about formats or burning to DVD.
>
> I am technical, but Firewire is completely new to me, and I have no
> guarantee the card is working properly (though XP sees the camera as
> soon as i connect it, and the PC can control the camera tape
> perfectly).
>
> Any help would be really appreciated. Is there some sort of simple way
> to test out that the firewire card is working ? I have bought two
> cables just in case the first was faulty....but the fault remained.
>
> Thanks in advance Ken

Ken, I'm not even going to tray and guess at a solution to your problem but
you seem to at least being close but check out the JVC MiniDV Users forum
at:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11

I'm not affiliated with the site in any way other than I registered there
for info for another brand. I found it to be a useful site.

Rich

"Rich" <rich_25@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<fsLpc.2400$SZ4.267@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Ken Russell" <ken@russell16.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > i have a JVC mini-DV video camera. I am attempting to capture video
> > via a firewire cable.
> > However all 3 pieces of software I have available to me which claim to
> > perform the task, don't.
> >
> > These are :-
> >
> > Windows Moviemaker
> > Pixela Imagemixer (came with the camera)
> > Sonic MyDVD (came with the PC)
> >
> > They all fail to display the video preview on capture.
> >
> > My DVD appears to start capturing then stops after a few seconds.
> > Imagemixer appears to capture but nothing is there (the disk space
> > doesn't clock down)
> > Windows moviemaker also appears to capture but nothing is there. In
> > fact when i stop the capture it says the video was not captured
> > correctly.
> >
> > I realise all 3 of these pieces of software are basic, but they should
> > perform the simple action of capturing to my hard drive. At this stage
> > I'm not worried about formats or burning to DVD.
> >
> > I am technical, but Firewire is completely new to me, and I have no
> > guarantee the card is working properly (though XP sees the camera as
> > soon as i connect it, and the PC can control the camera tape
> > perfectly).
> >
> > Any help would be really appreciated. Is there some sort of simple way
> > to test out that the firewire card is working ? I have bought two
> > cables just in case the first was faulty....but the fault remained.
> >
> > Thanks in advance Ken
>
> Ken, I'm not even going to tray and guess at a solution to your problem but
> you seem to at least being close but check out the JVC MiniDV Users forum
> at:
> http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11
>
> I'm not affiliated with the site in any way other than I registered there
> for info for another brand. I found it to be a useful site.
>
> Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the tip, I've posted there and have been getting some good
help. Still not fixed the problem, though i have now proved it relates
to my PC.

when i get it solved I will post the answer here.

Ken