car sound system

Jufinda

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I am brand new to car sound systems, I bought a stereo to start with but I'm not sure it will be good for what I want, I want 2 rear speakers and a boot subwoofer(assuming I need an amp) the stereo I have is a Pioneer DEH-150mpg it has one red and white RCA output, what do I need to have this work or is it worth getting a different/better stereo first?

Thanks.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
That stereo will get you started, but it's not going to do everything you want. Or think you want.

1st. If you do not have front speakers, you really should start there. If you are going to run 2 speakers off the head unit, and 2 speakers off an amplifier, then the amplifier should be powering the front speakers.

My answer is going to assume you have front speakers, or front and rear speakers running off the head unit. (the pioneer).

That stereo has a HPF/LPF, and so setting it to low pass filter will give you a subwoofer control option. This is a good thing. I would only do a subwoofer and amplifier off of that stereo, otherwise you would not be able to control the subwoofer volume separately. If you want to have an amplifier on 2 speakers and a subwoofer (3 channel or 4 channel amplifier with channels 3/4 bridged into mono) then that would work as well, but unless the amplifier has a remote control for sub volume, the percentages will be fixed.

so to answer your question: yes, it will work, but with very limited adjustments. A newer stereo with at least 2 preouts would be a preferred.

Apollonia

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

im guessing you missed the part here he said he was NEW to this? lol

Apollonia

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
First thing to consider is what kind of sound you want. If you play a wide range of music and would like clean crisp highs and vocals with nice bass throughout your playlist, your setup may be drastically different than if you want bass heavy sound for lots of rap/hip hop/rock n roll, etc.
The deck you mentioned will do just fine powering speakers in the cab of the vehicle, and those RCA jacks will do just fine for an amp to power a dedicated sub if you are not talking very high power stuff, just improved sound for everyday driving.

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
trunk car? or hatcback?

i never put ANY speakers in rear deck ever in a trunk build. the pressure from the subs can actually distort the sound coming from rear deck speakers, unless you build baffles to seal off the speakers from the subs pressure. a good front stage is a good thing to have and can actually sound better than have front doors and rear deck speakers amp'd.

that one will work. but only for 1 amp.
if you can id return it spend another $75 and get something worthwhile.
1 rca preout at 2 v. that means youll only be able to hook up an amp for subs but youll have to crank the gain on the amp to match the the voltages from your head unit(which you dont want to do) the gain is NOT a volume knob on your amp.doing so will then lead to clipped signals from your headunit to your amp which will ruin your speakers from distortion and clipped signal.

you can find much better head units with 2-3 preouts at or above 3v. for around $100-$150any other q's feel free to ask

also if your not aware usb is best option to input music, from phone or ipod etc. aux cord is a cheap integration . if your looking for sound quality id suggest at least usb input. and at least a 16 band eq integrated into the head unit.

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

sorry meant to hit vote up.

Apollonia

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

nice answer. .. i have infinity 6x9's in the rear deck with massive subs in the trunk (1875 rms). suffice it to say you solved an issue thats been bugging me lmao. thanks