Question Card didn't work but then worked...

Apr 25, 2019
I bought a used 1070. When I first installed the card, the temps were high and immediately shut down when I ran furmark. I removed it from my system, but a few days later, when I installed the card for the second time, the temps are normal and lasted 15mins in furmark at 70c... even though I didn't modify the card in any way during that interval...
what is happening?

I bought a used 1070. When I first installed the card, the temps were high and immediately shut down when I ran furmark. I removed it from my system, but a few days later, when I installed the card for the second time, the temps are normal and lasted 15mins in furmark at 70c... even though I didn't modify the card in any way during that interval...
what is happening?

Yes, as requested...Please kindly provide full PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Apr 25, 2019
All of my other components are fairly modern and brand new.
i7 8700 idles at 30c and loads at 60 no oc
32gb dual ddr4
Samsung 970 nvme 250gb no raid
Corsair 750 80+
Win10
1070 FE I normally use a 1080 FE
Thermaltake v200 case
MSI Z-390 PRO (Have never touched the BIOS since purchase. Version 1.10)
All my configs are standard.

I never uninstall any drivers. When using a new graphics card, I just download the driver from Geforce Experience.

Last edited:
1070 FE I normally use a 1080 FE

What exactly do you mean by that ? You have 2 cards, the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 Founder's edition ? How does the GTX 1080 perform on your system ? Maybe the first time you didn't properly install the GTX 1070, so that's why it was getting too hot, or there wasn't proper airflow inside your ATX cabinet, or some cable might be blocking it ?

That's a second hand/used GPU, the GTX 1070, right ? How old is this card. Both the Founder's Edition cards feature a blower-type cooler for the PCB. These cards exhaust hot air from the rear of the cabinet. What's the alignment of your cabinet, horizontal or vertical ?

Also, list the exact Model number of your Corsair 750 80+ PSU.

Last edited:
No, if the GPU was properly inserted into the PCI-e slot, then the OS will recognize the card once you install the GPU drivers. But anyways, this isn't much of a concern right now. If the 1080 FE ran flawlessly on your PC, then the issue might be related to the GTX 1070 card instead, not your PC.

But if it is running fine now, and not overheating, then you shouldn't be worrying too much about this issue, IMO.