Card Doesn't work in Primary PCI slot.

Orionn

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I recently switched cases and therefore had to take my rig apart and put it back together. When i booted up the red light for GPU on my motherboard flashes when my card is in the primary pci slot (the one closest to CPU). When I change it to the secondary slot it works but my fps is significantly reduced for some unknown reason, tried re installing drivers but to no avail. If anyone could help me with the issue of my gpu not working in the primary slot or the issue associated with my FPS drop (mainly for WoW) I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks

Maybe, can't really say without knowing the exact motherboard.

Using the second slot on my board is IDENTICAL with a GTX680. I get 16x with the first slot only but 8x when using the 2nd but even 8x is enough to prevent a bottleneck.

Some 2nd slots can default to 4x mode but ONLY if certain PCIe slots are already used for a sound card or something so it varies.

Regardless, sounds like the motherboard is broken.

Orionn

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I'm using an Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 with a Radeon HIS 7800 HD and an AMD FX 8350 if that helps. I'm getting drops to around 10 fps on wow, which is heartbreaking. Oh, i guess I should say that my old power supply failed on me and had to get a new one. But this didn't start occuring until after I had installed my new one.

Again though, if the card doesn't even work in the top PCIe slot this indicates damage to the motherboard.

I can't say exactly why it works in the 2nd slot but at a reduced performance but the bottom line is you should RMA the motherboard if possible or buy a new one if that's not possible.

So just contact Asus and tell them the top PCIe slot doesn't work at all. The warranty is likely for three years.

I know it's a huge pain in the ass to wait. You can try asking if they do CROSS SHIPPING at least (you ship when new board arrives).

Orionn

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
If you're referring to CPU-Z, under graphic interface in the mainboard tab is says link width x2 and Max supported x16. This issue was already occurring before the main slot ceased functioning, but i have an overclocking program called HIS turbo that came with the card and every time that I try to tweak it and play a game my computer will crash, whether it be the blue or red screen of death or other error, without fail this happens every time. If I leave it alone the rig runs normally besides the problem I expressed earlier.