[SOLVED] Card for older pc

May 19, 2020
Good morning.. I’ve got a older i7-950 on a msi x58 pro board, and the video card (gt450) went out. Wandering what to replace the gt450 with?
I don’t play games, but need to be able to run multiple monitors (3-4) . What’s a good recommendation, for a decent card that wont break the bank? I was looking at the rx570-580,s but keep reading they have lots of gremlins , then read on the gtx 1050-1060,s. They seem nice but more expensive and everything I read says they are way overkill for a i7-950.
thanks

Solution
Asus, Msi, Gigabyte or Evga.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#m=8,14,18,27&c=439

Many to choose from. I'd consider looking at reviews, user feedback from say Newegg/Amazon for a particular model. Check review sites such as here at Toms or Techspot regarding pros/cons on build quality (including metal backplate for extra support vs plastic) temps, fan noise and length. More fans (three if you can fit) is generally more quiet but a few decibels difference on dual fans may not worry you. YouTube has general decibel comparison videos if it helps decide.

Few models to get you started.

Msi Ventus XS OC
Asus Tuf Gaming OC
Gigabyte Gaming OC
Evga XC Ulta gaming

There's not really brands to avoid, comes down to experience...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gtx 1050/Ti would be perfect if you can get a card with the ports needed. You're after connectability rather than see a cpu restrict a gpu in games. If availability favours a 1060 due to covid then don't let your specs stop you. Your system isn't a deal breaker btw, not by a huge margin anyway.

Reason i suggested Nvidia is because they seem to be more forgiving when it comes to older boards. Not saying Amd won't run at all but more a chance of fussiness.

May 19, 2020
Thanks for the replies. It’s almost overwhelming with all the choices in video cards, I had no idea there was so many choices and prices from cheap to crazy expensive.
Last night I was reading on the msi rx580 armor 8g. Any idea if these are any good, and work without a lot of issues? I was thinking to just go ahead and get something decent, so as when I build the new pc in a month or 2, I could just re use this card in the new build. My plans on the new build are a x570 board with a ryzen 7 cpu. I don’t game at all, but watch videos, and stock trading . The stock trading is the biggest reason for running multiple monitors.
I was just going to get a gtx card, but it looks like for the money the rx cards have a better bang for your buck.. if they work 🤣.
Am I thinking right, or is there a better suggestion? I’d like to stay in the 200.00 or below . The rx580 is 189.00.
thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Many to choose from. I'd consider looking at reviews, user feedback from say Newegg/Amazon for a particular model. Check review sites such as here at Toms or Techspot regarding pros/cons on build quality (including metal backplate for extra support vs plastic) temps, fan noise and length. More fans (three if you can fit) is generally more quiet but a few decibels difference on dual fans may not worry you. YouTube has general decibel comparison videos if it helps decide.

Msi Ventus XS OC
Asus Tuf Gaming OC
Gigabyte Gaming OC
Evga XC Ulta gaming

There's not really brands to avoid, comes down to experience with customer support and warranty i suppose. They're all pretty good id say, but generally the four brands i mentioned earlier are more popular. Some other brands could be Colour, Galax, Pny and Zotac.

Last edited:
Solution
May 19, 2020

Msi Ventus XS OC
Asus Tuf Gaming OC
Gigabyte Gaming OC
Evga XC Ulta gaming

There's not really brands to avoid, comes down to experience with customer support and warranty i suppose. They're all pretty good id say, but generally the four brands i mentioned earlier are more popular. Some other brands could be Colour, Galax, Pny and Zotac.

May 19, 2020
Thank buddy.. I ordered a ASUS duel GeForce gtx1660s mini, today. It’s 6gb and has the gddr6 memory. I bet that’s going to be a big difference over the gt450 1gb that’s been in there

TRENDING THREADS