Question Card too big for case

Apr 4, 2019
Let me start with I'm not great with hardware, please be gentle...

So I just bought a used graphics card thinking "plug it in, easy-peasy, 5 minute ordeal"... But I forgot the part where I don't know what I'm doing and bought one too big for the case. So I start searching around and see that I should be upgrading the PSU as well.

This is about the point where I realize I'm in over my head... So I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do. The problem is I'm on a tight budget so a whole new pc isn't really an option. I'd prefer to use the card I bought and whatever I can spare from the current computer, but IDK if it's even worth it. Should I buy a new case and transplant everything, cut the case and make a new mounting bracket, or say screw it?

Let me know what you guys think and let me know if you need any more info.

CPU: HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 B55 - 3.00GHz
RAM: 8GB

New GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB

Way over your head. Step#1, decide whether transplanting that Mobo to a bigger case is something ur willing to do, time and $$. If HP Mobo is proprietary, you will be expected to pull out your power tools and modify the new case, but if u can do this, why not modify the old case?

Do u feel motivated? have time to burn? and skip lunch for 2 months? :)

Better option, return board and buy something similar, good enough, with a smaller foot print.

Apr 4, 2019
Is that a 320 Watt power supply? That's what I'm finding on it. It should be alright for that 750 Ti. Honestly, with everything being proprietary, I would modify your existing case to fit. I've seen several people cut open the side or use it without the side panel. Then you can save up for what you want without having to compromise anymore to use what you have.

This is sort of off topic, but there is a chance you could put a AMD Phenom II X4 B95 or a B97 or B99 in that PC for another performance upgrade. I'm not positive since I haven't done it myself, but it would be a pretty large boost in performance. They are about $25.00 on ebay right now for the B95.

Last edited:
Probably the best card you can use in that system is a GT730 GDDR3 small form factor. A new 1030 may work but not really worth it. A better use of money is to get a used tower system with a 300+ watt power supply and then you should be able to use the 750Ti you got. Another $100-150 and you should be good.

I'm with Seregil. Get out the hacksaw and cut a slot in the side panel and take off the top of the expansion slot in the back to make room for the height of the new card. Make sure that you do something to prevent the metal solder lugs on the back of the GPU from contacting the cut edge of the side panel. (electrical tape or something?)
We're talking about a $100 PC with a proprietary mobo and PSU and a $40 GPU here. Not worth spending any more money on it than you already have. It's still going to be a slow dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seregil Landry
Apr 4, 2019
Thank you all for the replies, sorry I haven't wrote back sooner... but life. So, I still haven't done anything to it yet but it sounds like it should be safe to cut the case. Just to make me feel a little better about it before I do, here are some pics of it. I forgot to mention I bought it "rebuilt" so I'm not 100% about anything.