Card Upgrade Help

Lazarith

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I'm in desperate need of upgrading my PC going to Start with my Video Card.

I'm currently using
Phenom x4 965 OC'd to 4Ghz
Radeon HD 7870
8GB Ram
M5a97 R2.0

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1050Ti FTW 3.0ACX-I may also be willing to spend the extra $65 for the 1060 FTW 3gb if it's worth the extra.
I don't care to much about super resolutions. I mainly play SMITE and I really want to start playing Dauntless. 1600x900 IS fine with me for resolution.

Also I would like to just upgrade the CPU I have but unsure if the FX 6300 would prove any upgrade.

Antonis117

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
From what I see, the GTX1060 is noticeably better that the GTX1050Ti (both at stock speeds, I can't find a good comparison between these two exact models). As for the cpu, yes it is an upgrade mainly because of the more cores if your use will utilize all six cores of the FX6300. Now again your cpu now is overclocked so it will be a little higher in the followin comparison but you can overclock the FX as well.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3646vs3649
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-6300/606vs1555

With AMD CPUs, especially the Phenom II and FX lines, clockspeed is everything. You are not likely to see much if any game performance increase by moving to a 6300 unless you overclocked it. That's because you already have a highly clocked Phenom II quad core.

You can test this by reducing your current clockspeed to 3ghz and comparing game performance with 4ghz, leaving everything else the same. You should see a drop in fps as you reduce clockspeed.

An HD 7870 is a pretty good match for your 965. I think the most gain you would see from a videocard upgrade is being able to run at higher settings, due to having more vram. I don't think actual fps will improve much though. I'm not familiar with Smite so you'd need to check and see where it lays on the "CPU dependent or GPU dependent" scale. Anything you play that is CPU dependent won't benefit from a videocard upgrade, especially if 900p is an acceptable resolution to you.

Lazarith

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
OK Maybe I will try downloading Dauntless first, and if I need to I will just do a full rebuild. I was going by the Can you Run it standards and it said I didn't meet the minimum requirements. But maybe that's because it's only going by the basic speed of the components.