Carmack Confirms Doom 4, Apologizes for Rage PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstock7337

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
I bought Rage only because it was $10 and to see it for myself. I now feel disappointed, even at that price. Not the Id software I remember. Am I the only one who yearns for the days of Quake 1? Really disappointed to have seen that frqnchise tarnished, the complete abandonment of mobile platform, the attack on the android platform, and the abomination that is rage. Ugh, I think i will wait for others to test the waters and wisely hold onto my money before bothering to give them another spin.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The messaging on Rage wasn’t all it should have been.

sounds like the excuses that the politicians roll out when their policies fail. "We didnt get our policy message out there well enough. Barack obama is a brilliant man and if you dont like his policies you just dont get it or youre a racist."

Still happy about doom4 hopefully they will find some duct tape to duct tape the flashlight to one of the guns this time.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I know I'm probably in the minority here but I wish they would release the original Doom in high rez graphics and updated sound. I know not many modern gamers would buy it but if they included it bundled with new game alot of old schoolers like myself would buy the new game. I just like the simplicity of controls and gameplay.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I wouldn't mind Rage being a flop if it wasn't for Carmack preaching for it and shouting everywhere for the past 7 years that it was going to blow our minds. It gives the impression that the same will happen for Doom 4.

dstock7337

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
[citation][nom]dstock7337[/nom]I bought Rage only because it was $10 and to see it for myself. I now feel disappointed, even at that price. Not the Id software I remember. Am I the only one who yearns for the days of Quake 1? Really disappointed to have seen that franchise tarnished, the complete abandonment of mobile platform, the attack on the android platform, and the abomination that is rage. Ugh, I think i will wait for others to test the waters and wisely hold onto my money before bothering to give them another spin.[/citation] corrected typo.

G

It's very hard to build a good reputation, but very easy to lose one.

G

There is no reversing the tide. The tide is:

-Big Hollywood presentation, often at the expense of substance and depth. Projects take forever, spend too much on artists, impressive cg cutscenes, and hard-boiled stories well past the point of absurdity.

-Big Marketing. The worst problem - hyping a title into massive sales regardless of its actual quality. A good product used to be its own best salesman. This massive marketing budget, again, is just more money stolen from the development and tech side of the project.

-Over-emphasis on multi-player and deathmatch, despite that this type of gameplay is virtually identical in every title, people just need to see it there or they throw a fit. Again, all of this at the expense of depth.

-Consolification/Consolitis - technology held back by decade old hardware in consoles and consumer ignorance, like choosing a console controller for every type of game, closed-in worlds, pre-ordering everything, and being content with a story lasting 6 hours.

-Insistence on Modding capabilities - "If I can't hack it and create a better product than the developers did.." (often a pipe-dream anyways) "..then the product is Crap. Crap I say!!". Again, at the expense of depth in the actual game. Why create a perfect game experience if the customer is planning to take it apart the next day? There is a lot of self-delusion here as well - most mods make a game no better, but we see people constantly convincing themselves: "Wow, it sucked before, it's soooo different now!".

-Online everything, all the time. Stupid perks like logging into an account just to play your single player game, DRM on products which are poor quality anyways, integration with social networking, achievements which you get by default just by playing... all of this provides nothing to you at all, and adds nothing to the game itself.

So many things we are asking from publishers are taking energy and resources away from creating an actual compelling game. We have ourselves to blame as much as them.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I wouldn't mind Rage being a flop if it wasn't for Carmack preaching for it and shouting everywhere for the past 7 years that it was going to blow our minds. It gives the impression that the same will happen for Doom 4.[/citation]

That is exactly for every game coming out. I mean the game cost very little as compared to other crappy tittles that cost 50+ euros but having bought a game that was unplayable from the very start because of buggy drivers, then putting the blame on ati's drivers was very unprofessional. I remember how annoyed i was when i managed to play the gam on those "buggy" ati drivers by launching the game with a modified executable that simply modified its very own game engine.

And yes, we were expecting something like fallout or borderlands. And guess what Mr carmack, i will be buying these titles blindfolded because they have proved themselves in the industry.....

I really hope all of you out there will not be disillusioned when Doom4 hits the shelves. So many titles that have been loooooong anticipated let us down.....

If you want people to buy your games earn their trust.......

G

Milking the already dead cow....Carmack has turn from legend to a fiasco by being pretentious and mediocre.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I played rage about 5 weeks ago (first time). When I read the line about it having a "Lackluster ending" I realized I don't even remember what the ending was. I guess he was right.

blingooron

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I dunno, I think most people are spoiled by playing to many games. Im sorry if Rage didnt change your life, I believe it was over priced and buggy myself.

However I feel its worth mentioning, it was one of the best looking, best sounding fun action creative fps. A little tweaking on the graphics and it was gold. Played it on hard and it was FUN, for 10 bucks =0)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]menigmand[/nom]The way I see it, id Software used to be amazing. They broke new technological ground with every new game they made. These days, gaming tech can't be pushed much further, so the mediocre gameplay and lack of maturity becomes glaringly obvious.I wonder if it's just me getting old? If I were a teenager today, would I still be excited by playing post-apocalypse/space marine shooting games?[/citation]

not really, shooters arent about the single player anymore.
its sad to say but how much can you really do with ai?
can you make them smarter? yes... will that make the game funner? only for the sadistic...
lets put it this way... military shooter, you have ai that knows how to play the game, in a real world scenario. you no longer get a call of duty, you get a sit, be patient, and 1 screw up and you are dead game.
yea we have them to some extent with tactical shooters, like what rainbow six use to be, but those go to a very limited market today. you want an arcade feeling shooter, that's where the fun is for most people. you want an rpg like advancement, weather it be ranks or borderlands like, thats what gets a person hooked to a game (borderlands, i have 4 level 50 characters on the xbox, no pc at the time, and 1 level 49 character on the pc so far, with about 37ish hours into it.)
smarter ai isn't what will make a game sell more, and we are starting to see a glut of fps games, and that's the real point that is making us less excited. i dont remember fps games being this dominant in the past, and thats what helped them in getting excited for them.

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]"These days, gaming tech can't be pushed much further due to the five years old console hardware that keep the game evolution stagnant in the past, so the mediocre gameplay and lack of maturity becomes glaringly obvious."There - Fixed it![/citation]

boo hoo i don't have tech demo level graphics in games that require a quad sli to function...
the fps genre is to over done and people are burnt out on them. you give me a fps that had the graphics of 20 years from now, and i wouldn't even care, id look at game play, story if there was one, and figure out if its worth it, most fps games are about multiplayer and it shows in EVERY ONE OF THEM.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I like Rage and I found Doom 3 to be a boring craptastic game. Carmack, you should focus on the next original title or as above said Rage 2. I am not really interested in a sequel to Quake or Doom or another crummy Castle Wolfenstein game that gets brushed under the rug by everyone a day after it is released due to sheer boredom of the product.

The best games you made were: Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Doom, Doom 2, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Rage (and dare I say Rage? yes. because it is fun and lived up to all the hype that I ever saw about it)

All the rest of the games are duds. I think another original shooter is in order with a different theme and name. Maybe something more science fiction with fancy graphics and stuff. I'm not talking about halflife so nobody needs to assume that. I think Carmack can make a great game if he would focus on new stuff like he really should have with Rage. It seemed like Rage took a while to put out because he had his development team sidetracked on other non-important games when they should have been focusing more effort on the one single title: Rage.

Anyway release Doom 4 but I'm not jumping onto the bandwagon unless you completely overhaul the entire game and don't make it boring as heck this time around. Doom 3 was atrocious.

Also this guy needs to learn that gamers don't like to spend top dollar on new releases. $29.99 would have been fair for Rage; not $59.99 or $64.99 whatever nonsense it was. I purchased it new for $7.99 and realistically I would have bought it for 30 bucks had it been that way at or near launch which it wasn't. Good job with that.

edit: I would like to add that I would quite rather play Daikatana than another Doom game especially not that lame Doom 3 rehash they just put out. So pointless to release. Why not bring Romero back to the parent company? Maybe he can do some good for a change. I didn't find Daikatana to be that bad of a game anyway although I didn't play it a lot. At the time, I believe Sin was the fun game to play. I actually played it on 3dfx graphics cards a few months ago and it still holds up.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Rage ran like a piece of shit even after multiple patches. The worst part was, even though the graphics were nice on a large scale, the texture resolutions were terrible and blurry/pixelated. If it was some amazing technical breakthrough, the poor performance could have been slightly justified, but it was not even close to that.

I wouldn't say Rage "sucked" but it was a major letdown. Some of the character models were amazing and the world was awesome and creative, though too linear.

Carmack should have come out and said these things months ago after the fail of RAGE PC. Instead he tried to blame the problems on "driver issues" which just made him look like a tool. Still, better late than never, and at least he admitted to the issues of Rage. I look forward to Doom 4.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

It was a little choppy in the outlands when using the dune buggies for me on dual SLI gtx 260 core 216s however it runs great on my current rig with core i7 ivy bridge and a single gtx 670 graphics card. I believe I'm getting 60+ fps everywhere. The game is really good imho. I just wish he released the texture packs.

I think you are basing your post off of either an older pirated copy of the game or you have it legit but haven't added any updates (I don't know how that could be, maybe your PC isn't connected to the internet).

That or you have an ATI video card and I can't help you there. I always buy Nvidia.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I guess, Hard Reset.. enough said. would be something I would say however it lacks multi player and is only a single player game. Indie has too much limitations I'm afraid. Though it is good to see a killer looking product from independent developers like hard reset. If that ind was on the ball he would have implemented internet play and you'd see a bunch of people playing it all the time. Sad that he didn't.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Yep, I predicted Doom 4, I think Valve have been holding off on Half Life 3 for this arrival so they can re-run the old rivalry between Doom 3 and Half Life 2
If that's true then the best news of all has to be the imminent arrival of Half Life 3 - watch this space

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]It was a little choppy in the outlands when using the dune buggies for me on dual SLI gtx 260 core 216s however it runs great on my current rig with core i7 ivy bridge and a single gtx 670 graphics card. I believe I'm getting 60+ fps everywhere. The game is really good imho. I just wish he released the texture packs.I think you are basing your post off of either an older pirated copy of the game or you have it legit but haven't added any updates (I don't know how that could be, maybe your PC isn't connected to the internet).That or you have an ATI video card and I can't help you there. I always buy Nvidia.[/citation]

I don't pirate games, so yes it was a "legit" retail copy. I'm positive I had all the latest patches and my drivers were up to date. Also, I have a pretty high-end system (core i7) running a Radeon 6950 2GB card, which may have been my problem (running an ATI card). Either way, my system is well above specs, and RAGE is a very bad console port and a poor excuse for a PC game (technically speaking).

Again, not saying it sucked. But I wouldn't call it "really good" either.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]It was a little choppy in the outlands when using the dune buggies for me on dual SLI gtx 260 core 216s however it runs great on my current rig with core i7 ivy bridge and a single gtx 670 graphics card. I believe I'm getting 60+ fps everywhere. The game is really good imho. I just wish he released the texture packs.I think you are basing your post off of either an older pirated copy of the game or you have it legit but haven't added any updates (I don't know how that could be, maybe your PC isn't connected to the internet).That or you have an ATI video card and I can't help you there. I always buy Nvidia.[/citation]

Ironically enough, you'd be MUCH better off using an ATI video card in OpenGL games. A 6850 can beat a GTX480 in some cases, which is downright sad. There's a 680 review showing the disparity as well http://alienbabeltech.com/abt//viewtopic.php?t=24517 They use Wolfenstein to illustrate the point, because Rage is difficult to benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.