Carmack Confirms Doom 4, Apologizes for Rage PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scout62

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I would be happy if they would release any ending at all for Rage.

What was the point of getting all the heavy hardware with no boss fight to use it on?

G

Rage is what i feel when I think i spent twenty bucks on this game. twenty one gigabytes of steam-infested gameware that i didn't remember i had to sign up for!!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Been awhile since ID and Carmack put out a 'good' game. Even Doom 3 was flawed with weak story and aside from awesome graphics did little to innovate the genre. If ID puts out another stinker the fan base will disappear and ID will be a relic of the past, glorious it was. So I def hope ID gets it together and makes Doom 4 epic!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I wouldn't mind Rage being a flop if it wasn't for Carmack preaching for it and shouting everywhere for the past 7 years that it was going to blow our minds. It gives the impression that the same will happen for Doom 4.[/citation]

lol. I was amazed to see how shotty the textures were for the background scenery and seemed like most of the dev'ing went into something I cannot figure out because the end result for a long project looked rushed. The AI is ok, bugs galore, texture mapping is simply horrible in many places. Batman Arkham City is light years ahead by comparison with 1/2 the dev time. Perhaps dev'ing games these days may have surpassed Carmack. Say it ain't so!!!

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Had the pleasure of sitting through Carmack's keynote speech at this past weekend's Quake Con 2012. Brilliant guy, great speech, and like the article, he apologized for the ill-designed Rage game. He didn't give any specific details about Doom 4 (no surprise) but he said id Software won't repeat the same mistake as they did with Rage.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Carmack overhyped the crap out of rage. It was a bad game, glitchy and boring. Looking forward to Doom 4 though. Doom 3 was awesome, but they need to leave out the have to find code in pda thingy. Also, guns need flashlights on the end of them, and hopefully it's a little more free roam.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]JDW_SWB[/nom]And the headline in 2013 will read - "Carmack Confirms Rage 2, Apologizes for Doom 4 PC"[/citation]
This made my day. Thank You. :)

I just hope he can deliver on Doom 4. I am not holding any expectations. We will all just have to wait and see. And hopefully he develops for the PC FIRST!!!

G

Dudes, I think you are all skipping one little, tiny fact. ID software JOINED Bethesda. And, let's be honest, Bethesda sucks at making shooters. They made ID to fall in this typical steampunk-western-post-apocalyptic crap including some "RPG" shit that will never actually work in a fast-paced, full of action FPS. Nevertheless, RAGE was pretty neat. The first time I saw it, I was like wow! great graphics, though I agree I could have been better with a more exciting ending and a greater range of enemies. But, I insist, we should give them a chance. Doom is THE ID franchise and we all knew they were only trying new things with RAGE.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Turdyman[/nom]Dudes, I think you are all skipping one little, tiny fact. ID software JOINED Bethesda. And, let's be honest, Bethesda sucks at making shooters. They made ID to fall in this typical steampunk-western-post-apocalyptic crap including some "RPG" shit that will never actually work in a fast-paced, full of action FPS. Nevertheless, RAGE was pretty neat. The first time I saw it, I was like wow! great graphics, though I agree I could have been better with a more exciting ending and a greater range of enemies. But, I insist, we should give them a chance. Doom is THE ID franchise and we all knew they were only trying new things with RAGE.[/citation]

from what i understand, its one of the few fps games where moving the difficulty slider to a harder setting doesn't make bullets do less damage, or enemies take more, but makes them smarter.

the engine, while hard to use, can do more with little than other engines can, it just came out buggy.

and that said, rage was a long time in the making if i believe, does it predate brethesda purchase?

and that being said. ID comes from the old days, where making the game engine was also part of game design, i don't thing they ever had a design team, and thats why games like quake 4 and doom 3 were underwhelming, they still make a great engine, but they don't make a great game because they never had great game makers.

if anything, their acquisition will give brethesda a decent engine team, and they can contribute a decent design team. depending on if doom 4 was in the making (story and level wise) before the acquisition, they may make another dud, or if they get some real designers could make a fairly good doom.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]Developers should fix games before they launch them, then they won't have an excuse of shifting resources after the game launches.[/citation]

Typical developer:

It appears that Doom 4 hasn't worked out so well...

Oh well, onwards to Doom 5!

G

I shuddered when I read the comment 'when it's done'. That is never a good sign. I hope that's not going to be id's answer to questions relating to Doom 4's development.

Too many times ive heard ppl talk, and then not deliver. "it will be done when its done".
I have my own phrase like that "ill belive it when i see it" :D.
In other words, ill reserve my judgement untill the game is out and i can actually see some gameplay online.

I wasn't too impressed with Doom 3... not too excited about number 4
I guess I liked the old doom's better back in the day...

I loved quake 1 (Old, Gothic and filled with monsters) but part 2 turned it into stupid space cyborg shooter. Haven't been a huge fan since. Yeah, I have Quake 3 and 4 but didn't play them as much as I did with quake 1.

I haven't played RAGE but like this article said it seems like a Boarderlands or Fallout to me.

G

I'm getting 50+ fps at 1366x768 on an A8 Trinity Mobile. And was getting similar results from a month after launch with a 5770 till now as well.

G

Please Please Please do NOT! make Doom 4 ANYTHING like Doom 3. Doom 3 does not deserve to bear the Doom name. We need to get back to the roots of Doom 1 & 2. The openness, the problem solving, free reign. Get rid of the corralling, get rid of the cheesy cinematics, get rid of the 12 year old gamers who want everything on the silver platter. Those guys can go play borderlands or Fallout. We need an epic game for the original adopters of Doom. I personally would throw money at id for such a game, I wouldn't mind pledging 300k in support of such a game, and I know there are a lot of other successful people in my shoes that would do the same. Swing for the fences id. Get away from all the baby shit, and put out a game with balls. It's what the world needs.

[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Dear John,no need to apologize for rage. I think it is a great game. Indeed the ending was not that great, but not bad either.[/citation]
I thought it was a really good game after ATI got the proper drivers out. Really for me that was the only big issue.

If AMD had not released a FUBAR driver that did not work it wood have been great. But in the end AMD did fix the drivers and I really enjoyed the game and for me that is what it is all about. I had fun playing the game and that is what I look for in any game.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
seriously, I agree, I played the game until the end, it's still one of the best looking games on the market... it looks better than the witcher 2, and it runs just as good... the animated enemies was amazing... the game WASNT bad, it just wasn't original enough, it looked too much like borderlands, I thought the game was visually amazing.... It didn't take me more than a hour to get it running properly but yes it did have a lot of problems and texture popping.

[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]rage was really fun and beautifully illustrated like a living heavy metal magazine piece. You guys are way way too harsh.[/citation]

G

I bought this game. I played the first mission. Between this, fall out new vegas, dishonoured and borderlands. It is clear that Bethesda are pumping out games with shitty graphics at expensive prices.

This isn't a id game it's a bethseda program. even though border lands was made on the unreal engine. This looks just like borderlands.

If I was carmack i'd abandon doom 4 and work on selling a fruit ninja rip off. He'd make more money that way and people wont poke fun at him for his unoriginality because lets face it the mobile markets full of chump programs and pathetic programs. Sega and SNES games are more interesting in the 90's than the dribble they push out on the iOS and Android platforms and that was 20 years ago where games are in the KBs maybe megabytes.

This game does one thing right. Depth of field. I was surprised by the amount of spatial awareness you felt by looking over, around and through certain objects.

Honest to god if I was to walk into Betheseda I'd fire anyone in support of creating games that look like they were created in 2002. You talk about tripple A titles and that you need to work on those to make cash. Yet you sell games that look like they got dragged through the dust bin before sold at the same price as a AAA title. Shame on you. Dishonoured, RAGE, fall out new vegas. Worth 30 bucks each brand new tops. It looks like you spent 5 months on it. should we make nice textures? nah lol lets see if they'll buy it anyway. lolololol driver support lololololol lets tell them uncompressed it's a terrabyte and theey'll be soooo impressed. it's out move on to the next. AHAHAHA keynote speaker presentation. i'm running a games production company who creates shit and it's not our fault, we will be sure to polish our shit better next time. Like my programming lecturer says, If you polish a turd it's still a turd.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Well when the economy is in the dumps. What do you expect? The games are not selling that well.

What is wrong? Well i will explain it. The rich folk stole all the money. Then the rest of can't afford anything. So the manufactures supply old stuff because they can't afford to do anything.

The concentration of wealth is the problem.

The economy runs on credit. That means people need to be able to borrow money ( credit worthy). If not enough people are credit worthy. The economy fails. That simple. They will try to spin it either way. That is the problem. It is effecting this industry

Status
Not open for further replies.