Carmack "Happy" About Engine Licensing Biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know... all he is good at is building an engine, you would think that this would make him sad, as he cant do what hes good at and really show it off anymore.

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
All he is good at is building an engine?? I don't know how old you are but he changed the gaming industry he brought the gaming industry out of side scrolling and 2d gaming.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]All he is good at is building an engine?? I don't know how old you are but he changed the gaming industry he brought the gaming industry out of side scrolling and 2d gaming.[/citation]

You know that's great and all, and I salute him for what he did back in 1992, but that was over 19 YEARS ago. The man was responsible for a couple decent engines since then and had a part in making a few decent games, but he has yet to top that accomplishment. There are plenty of developers out there that make far better games than him.

Just because someone strikes gold once it doesn't mean they'll strike it every time. The whole "king of gaming" title is getting old.

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
You know who the heck cares about Carmack anymore. He lost all credibility when he went on his anti multi-core crusade, then gave it up when Microsoft paid him to work with the 360.
He is a has-been and there are better out there.

Back on subject of the story, Engine licensing is quite useful and the games that use the Unreal engine are proof of that. while it may not work for Id, who cares? They aren't a big player as they were in the early 90s.

godmodder

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
It's true that Id isn't a big player anymore. On the other hand, that doesn't mean I lose any respect for a great programmer and engineer like Mr. Carmack. Any programmer that claims to be better than him is either godlike (unlikely) or full of arrogance.

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
John Carmack is literally a rocket scientist. He founded Armadillo Aerospace and developed their rocket engine and guidance system. And in his "spare time" he creates some phenomenal software.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]You know that's great and all, and I salute him for what he did back in 1992, but that was over 19 YEARS ago. The man was responsible for a couple decent engines since then and had a part in making a few decent games, but he has yet to top that accomplishment. There are plenty of developers out there that make far better games than him.Just because someone strikes gold once it doesn't mean they'll strike it every time. The whole "king of gaming" title is getting old.[/citation]

Not really, Call of Duty wouldn't exist the way it is without him, The Source engine may have never existed without him. Those are most likely besides the unreal engine the two biggest engines to this date. Please get facts straight, also rage looks better than any crappy unreal engine game...

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002

You just said no one else in the world would have developed 3D gaming if Carmack wasn't born. Think on that logical and realize how much BS it is.

The fact is Carmack struck gold one and hasn't since. Does that make him a has been in gaming, in my mind, yes. Note: I said gaming not in the programming field. ID has not released a decent game in years. And when they try we get Doom 3.

I have hopes for Rage, it looks good, but I with hold judgement until its released.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
for doom 4 to be a succes, it will have to be outrageous. if he keeps using the models and blocky 3d he's using now, it will FAIL. Doom 3 was a good example. Altough it had some good moments, it wasn't epic. The mood was certainly good, dark and deep. Time for carmack to give us unlimited worlds, unlimited buildings, no block/bump maps, realistic creatures (movie quality) Otherwise, it will be another forgotten, rush trough title.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I would have thought he would have done just the opposite. I mean he is known for cutting edge and ground breaking programming techniques and engine designs. His game design was great back in the day, but compared to the variety in FPS style gaming today, well, I get bored with ID stuff pretty quickly.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]valcron[/nom]You just said no one else in the world would have developed 3D gaming if Carmack wasn't born. Think on that logical and realize how much BS it is. The fact is Carmack struck gold one and hasn't since. Does that make him a has been in gaming, in my mind, yes. Note: I said gaming not in the programming field. ID has not released a decent game in years. And when they try we get Doom 3. I have hopes for Rage, it looks good, but I with hold judgement until its released.[/citation]

AMEN to that , I'm in school for game art design , and i'm so sick of eharing this guy get creadit for "3d" games it's total horse S--- , 3ds max , one of the first 3d modelign programs was first developed in 1989 WELL AND LONG BEFORE ANY ONE EVERY RELEASED A 3D GAME. so indeed sayign carmak is the sole creator of 3d gaming is total, or saying modern 3d games wouldnt have exsisted with out ,him is all total bull S---. carmak had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with creating 3ds max , which is really what kick started 3d gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.