Carmageddon: Another Kickstarter-Funded Remake Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamech

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
hmm....That sounds maybe a little it TOO Jap..."waan" epic game... I should definately re-read whatever I try to post!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
oh cool i love the first 2 carmageddon games , I wonder if the new one will feature any music from known meta bands , like the first 2 did ( C1 had fear factory music in it , C2 had Iron maiden music in it ). I'd love to see this revival get finished and done right. i spent many hours running peds over in both originals on pc of course ... wussy nintendo 64 bit version had green blood in palce of red blood and zombies instead of human peds. (which was carmagedon 2 renamed to carmagedon 64)

can't wait to hear more about this.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
One can only hope... but in today's megacorporate/fascist world, I fear it will be banned in several countries, receive R+ rating, officially only allow gameplay after submitting identity information, being between 24 and 40 years old and having no issues with the law ever before.

And it will include draconic DRM, with required permanent internet connection and turned on webcam and face detection so they can spy on you while playing. If you even make one little grin while smashing civilians, they will cut you off and automatically call the police with attempted murder charges.

/end rambling.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Huh, apparently, this Kickstarter thing is working. Can we have remakes of Populous: The Beginning and Redline?[/citation]

Holy shit, Redline was brilliant. Essentially Carmegeddon, with rockets and guns and the ability to hop in and out of vehicles on the map.

Anyone else remember the fact that on foot you technically had just one weapon which transformed into different ones as desired?! Awesome.

I'd want a remake of that just as much as a faithful reboot of Carmegeddon.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Huh, apparently, this Kickstarter thing is working. Can we have remakes of Populous: The Beginning and Redline?[/citation]

I hope to see more Kickstarter funded games over the next couple of years but so far we have yet to see how these games look finished after being funded. I have funded multiple games and will continue to fund them via Kickstarter. Only time will tell if this phenomenon really works and rewards us gamers with the games we really want made.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Wow blast from the past I hope that it doesn't suck or watered down like most modern games that only focused on graphics rather than quality of gameplay. Still got my 3dfx rigs going[/citation]

It's been bought back by the original studio and they will not be giving it to a publisher again (hence kickstarter). They will retain full creative control. It has every chance of being awesome.

Remake Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now.

That was one of the best games i've ever played. Large open levels, lots of vehicular destruction. Heck the damage to vehicles as almost spot on for such an "old" game back in the day. I still play it every once in a while on my new comp....I still have my original CD :D

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
This seems like a good way to get funding for good games that would have otherwise never be released. Imagine a cop seeing a carmageddon bump sticker on your car when he pulls you over and he doesn't know what to make of it... "Step out of the vehicle" :D

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I remember. I still play it from time to time :D I even have a patch for LAN and it was fun, even though it was just me and a friend. I liked both combat and the storyline, it's brilliant and full of crude black humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.