Carrier User Tracking Is Back On Android Devices, After Congress Voted To Repeal FCC Privacy Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I'd hope Verizon puts themselves out of business by doing this, but most people probably won't even understand that Verizon is intruding on their privacy, enabled by corrupt politicians.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think it will really matter. Just don't get Verizon or ATT if you are worried about security. For end-users with poor technical ability it will help technicians and law enforcement if the device is stolen.
Verizon is deeply embedded into the US internet infrastructure. Outside of its mobile network, it also owns one of the largest internet exchange points.

Everybody does realize these rules have never been implemented, right? (Adopted, yes, Implemented, no.) It does leave a status-quo point though as these things could still be going on right up to the point the rules were actively enforced...

Encourage your D.C. Representatives to re-enact them, or something even better for the consumer and individual if you are unhappy about this. Just don't cry foul and whine about it. If enough demand it, they'll do it if they wish to be re-elected.

I ditched verizon shortly after they sold off FIOS to frontier and my service went to crap. Everyone I know that had FIOS and VZW have now moved away from both as they were disgusted with how they screwed their customers on the FIOS side and the people wanted nothing more to do with them. (Yes, I'm still ticked off about the FIOS fiasco)

AT&T has been pretty good so far, but if they follow suit with the tracking garbage, I will have to start shopping for a carrier with common sense.

As for Apple products...the carrier can add apps to any device on their network, Apple phones are no different, other than it's easier on Android phones as much of the software is already there.

Unfortunately their more likely to do what their donors demand not the people if they outspend the next guy 5x more their pretty much going to get re-elected.

No actually apple does not allow any software to be installed from the carrier they cant even block iphone updates to ios as they can on android.

brenro12

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Is anyone really naive enough to think this ends with Verizon Android phones? I can get by without a smartphone. If enough other people feel that way see how fast that legislation gets changed.

ONLY if they know why the mass exodus away from smart phones.... too bad too many people are so attached to theirs to move away from smart phones and tablets to make it an effective tactic

Does anyone else find it ironic that Tom's is aware this is an issue. They alert us to measures we can take. Yet they don't support https.

Not to mention they still serve up click bait ads and autoplay video ads. Yeah, Yeah I know about adblockers and use them most of the time. So I don't need to hear from someone about using an adblocker. That isn't the issue. The issue is they should better vet their advertisers. Then maybe we wouldn't have to use ad blockers. I could understand some crafts blog not doing a good job of this. But this is a tech site. Supposedly full of IT pros.

Hdar08

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
The FCC has no authority nor the Jurisdiction to enforce consumer privacy, that responsibility belongs solely to the Federal Trade Commission. If you're so worried about your private data being mined and sold, then File a complaint with the FTC. Stop being lemmings and quit believing misleading articles written my misinformed authors.

sundevilchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I understand why the current government did this. I just wish they had in place a protection package from the FTC that better addresses consumer privacy.

Maybe if it was totally anonymous data but we know that isn't true.

We have a choice to use google products or any other products that tracks us....we have no choice with ISP.

Seems like both Dems and Reps in collusion with this. Obama wanted to bring internet access to everyone. Now Trump just opened the doors for that data to be sold by our ISPs.

Right now Tom's hardware is using my browsing history to give me target ads. I see that. I have no issue with that. I can block my cookies and Tom's can still give me generic ads and I am cool with that as well.

But my ISP isn't' doing me any favors by potentially selling my data to the highest bidder. They aren't giving me a "free" product.

What is the point of an FTC or any government ran consumer protection "commission" if they aren't protecting us? Might as well eliminate these programs.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Im trying to learn more about this but im somewhat confused by it all. Am i safe to say that getting a VPN for my phone/desktop would be a really good step in the right direction to protect from all this nonsense?

An encrypted VPN which doesn't keep logs nor share user data (except as required by law in the VPN server location). I think AirVPN is safe. Note a few problems. Doing searches for local services is a bit of a pain as every website thinks you are located at your VPN server. Websites which don't allow foreign traffic won't work if you use a server in another country. Connections will be slower due to a much higher ping and limitations of the VPN server.

Some more minor annoyances have to do with Website security. If you sign into gmail without the VPN then again with the VPN. Google will wig out and block the connection. Because they know you can't travel several thousand miles in a few minutes. This is to prevent unauthorized sign ins. I imagine others have the same safeguards.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015

Ahh okay. I'm in the US and was looking at ideally VPNs with east coast servers. I dont mind TOO much about the extreme security measures. mainly looking to block RCN and verizon from making any more money off me while still being able to get good speeds.
and thanks!

It starts with the wide-spread use of the iPad babysitter and the hours of use each day by children whose parents don't want to be bothered with that annoying parenting job. Those apps are free, keep the kid quiet and they learn to count and learn their letters without parents having to exert any energy. But the apps are free after all, right?

Then it is further strengthened in the schools. The schools are pushing the apathy toward privacy for the good of the world oligarchy by encouraging kids to get their social media on from an early age.

Eventually, you have adults that don't give two turds about this legendary privacy thing.

People sharing their entire lives on social media couldn't possibly care about "the man" collecting their data. They've been conditioned to increasingly lose any sense of privacy all in the name of free stuff.

Always has been, even before this FCC privacy rule repeal story spin.... even before the privacy rules were adopted (yet, not implemented and enforced.) There may be something about the rules that hasn't been shared too... something that tainted the whole package.... it may have just been politics or money too.... I haven't seen the whole thing (and I'm not just talking a provided, and potentially intentionally incomplete, summary either.)

theNEOone

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

Not true. CarrierIQ fiasco impacted iPhones as well.

It's foolish to think that carriers aren't going to try and put their shady garbage on an iPhone.

And to be honest, I somewhat feel like they have a right to if they're subsidizing the phone.

The only real option is to buy your handset outright, directly from the manufacturer, and make sure you're running your traffic through a VPN.

I haven't bought a phone from a carrier since the iPhone (I purchased directly from Apple). I have since switched to Nexus devices and now the Pixel. I will never go back to buying a phone from a carrier.

=|

AirVPN also has US servers. They just keep logs the US government requires on those servers.

The right way to fix the privacy issue is to get involved and write or call your Congressman. The issue at hand with the recent repeal is the FCC didn't have the authority to make rules to regulate privacy issues...only Congress can create law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS