Question CAS Latency very high

delviii

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
I noticed in my bios and whenever i benchmark my ram that the latency is ridiculously high. I have Trident Z 32gb 3200mhz (OC'd to 3600mhz) 14-14-14-34 ram and for some reason my cas latency is 26. I have tried using xmp, downclocking, and if i type in 14-14-14-34 into the bios manually the system wont boot. I also have a Ryzen 3700x, and if i insert the same ram modules into a different system that has a Ryzen 2600, all the timings are fine and the ram runs much better. I have also tried using spare corsair ram modules that are 16-18-18-36 and the same thing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View: https://imgur.com/Xn0SjB0

View: https://imgur.com/oo0PSeQ

As you increase the clock, your timings will get worse--just the nature of ram. But that being said, those clocks definitely don't look right. Have you tried stock clocks in the 3700x? If it doesn't run at stock clocks in the 3700x but does in the 2600, that leaves only motherboard or processor--assuming the ram is on the qvl list for both.

delviii

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
As you increase the clock, your timings will get worse--just the nature of ram. But that being said, those clocks definitely don't look right. Have you tried stock clocks in the 3700x? If it doesn't run at stock clocks in the 3700x but does in the 2600, that leaves only motherboard or processor--assuming the ram is on the qvl list for both.
I have tried both enabling xmp and even decreasing the ram clocks to 2133mhz and the timings are still way too high. I have checked and the gskill and corsair ram are on the qvl list for the motherboards. The motherboard that i am currently using is an ASUS Strix x570-e and the motherboard i used to test is the MSI x470 Gaming Pro.

delviii

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
Wait, you're using two different brand modules?
No, I am using the Trident Z ram. I tried using different ram modules (the Corsair ones) to see if the issue was the ram or something else. My timings were still ridiculously high when trying both the trident z ram and the corsair ram

delviii

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
Do you have the latest BIOS? Are you using slots 2 and 4 away from CPU? Hard reset BIOS, input settings and try again. You can also start from a lower frequency and work up, but sounds like there is some glitch causing a problem
Tried updating bios, moving ram slots, putting ram on 2133mhz, tried using xmp (or d.o.c.p as ASUS calls it), downclocking cpu, and my timings are still very high. I think its just a Ryzen 3000 problem since i put my cpu into a different board and still the same.