xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Is it worth lowering the cas of my RAM from 2.5 to 2.0? How much performance gain will i notice? (if any) If my DDR is rated at cas2.5, what could happen to it if i drop it to cas2.0? Is there a possibility i could ruin it?

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Is there a possibility i could ruin it?
No, the only problem you could have is with the stability of the system. In that case you just have to go back to CAS 2.5.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Yes, it’s pretty obvious. Actually it normally appears as “CAS”. Anyway I would suggest you to read the motherboard manual.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if you have generic no-name ram then you may run into trouble if you use hard (low) memory timings.

in rare cases this CAN corrupt your windows install.

if you want to know if your ram will run properly at Cas2, download and run the freeware program MEMTEST86.

if your ram cant hack the hard mem timings your system will crash or memtest will return lots of errors.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Cool. I'll give it a shot.
If, for arguments sake, it does work. Where will i notice improvements in performance with my RAM at cl2.0?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes, allthough its likely you will only notice a difference on memory hungry applications.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

paulmartin

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
yes you can destroy it if its quality is not sufficient. you can nevertheless try the CAS2 but this could involve system hang-ups if it is not supported.

paulmartin

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
i have already had this issue. you can damage irremediably bad quality memory forcing the CAS3 to CAS2. i destroyed my homebrand memory after 2 weeks overclocking.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Sorry, but have to say that’s really weird. I mean, I do believe you did have that problem but think that you had a VERY poor quality RAM stick and also lots of bad luck.
I think with the current technology that’s not going to happen.

BTW, I have an old machine running PC-100 10 ns (which is actually PC-83 because “real” PC-100 is 8ns) at 100 MHz CAS 2 and 3.63 Volt for about 2.5 years with no problem.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
That is wierd.

paulmartin...
CAS is just a stobe and a delay waiting for the strobe to finish. Changing between 3 clock cycles to 2 clock cycles is not overclocking. It is just waiting less time to complete. The reason there can be errors in cheapo memory is because the addressing read of the column did not finish. It is not like you are increasing the voltage or the amperage. Just changing a setting on a timer.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
When it comes to memory,

Lower CAS is always better
Lower timing is always better
higher Mhz would always be better if they didn't use all these stupid freaking odd ball methods of figuring out what they want the Mhz to be on the label...oh, well we can double this number, cuz this thing right here is purple...oh wait, that's my peter...

Kill a man, you're a murdered. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all, you're a GOD