CAS2 - worth it?

G

On www.sharkyextreme.com's memory price guide, 256 MB ram CAS3 is $102 and CAS2 is $212! Is it worth it to buy the CAS2 RAM? How much of a performance boost do you really get? Seems that money would be better spent elsewhere...

John

G

Another question to ask along with this is: Can you just "overclock" your CAS3 by setting the BIOS to CAS2 and see if it works? What's the downside to doing that?

G

The Bios trys to run CAS 2, but the memory won't work in CAS2! as it can't react quick enough.

G

Just for kicks I set my BIOS RAM settings to PC133, CAS2 even though it is rated for PC100 CAS3. Somewaht surprisingly, the power on memory tests ran fine, the MB/S from Sandra went up by ~20% (ALU 384 -> 468 and FPU 415 -> 575), and the RAM seems to run nice and cool (not even warm to the touch). It's been this way for hours of solid use. Did I just get lucky?

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well my advice would be to try compiling linux kernal or other sensitive test/operations. And What the heck if it works it works, you may get more freezes/fatal exceptions
that dont seem related to this, but basically the system runs slighly more unstable with cas 2 even with cas2 ram
personally for the 3-5% overall boost i just run mine at cas 3 still get over 110fps quake 3

Bored, Certified Tech

TRENDING THREADS