Question Case airflow question

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

Building a Threadripper 3970X system, going to be cooling it on air. There will also be a 2080TI in there and seven pcie-4 nvme's (all of which get much, much hotter than previous gen nvme's).

My case has three 120mm intake fans in the front and one 140mm exhaust in the back. This will undoubtedly result in positive pressure inside, but do you think this will be adequate airflow for all the heat that's going to be generated in that case?

I could add exhaust fans at the top of my case but would prefer not to as the exhaust air will hit me in the face. But I'll do it if I need to.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi all,

Building a Threadripper 3970X system, going to be cooling it on air. There will also be a 2080TI in there and seven pcie-4 nvme's (all of which get much, much hotter than previous gen nvme's).

My case has three 120mm intake fans in the front and one 140mm exhaust in the back. This will undoubtedly result in positive pressure inside, but do you think this will be adequate airflow for all the heat that's going to be generated in that case?

I could add exhaust fans at the top of my case but would prefer not to as the exhaust air will hit me in the face. But I'll do it if I need to.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Build it and see what happens, you can always ad more fans later on. More fans is better and you can still control their speed so they don't "blow in your face".

I would add a top-rear exhaust fan in addition to the rear exhaust fan. That should be the minimal configuration in addition to whatever intake fans are installed, for practically any mid to high end system these days especially if there is a gaming card in play. One exhaust fan simply cannot expel enough heat fast enough to make an efficient air path and exchange rate regardless of how many intake fans are or are not installed.

If necessary, if you don't want to buy any additional fans, then I'd move the top 120mm front fan to that top-rear fan location so that you have basically a neutral pressure arrangement. Or, add a fan in that top-rear location. One of the two.

TRENDING THREADS