Question Case airflow thoughts

Jan 9, 2019
Hey guys!

New year, new rig. Problem is, I'm unsure about my current radiator/case fan setup.

I have the Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 and I inverted it, because my computer is gonna be standing on the left side of my desk. Since it is inverted, my GPU is obviously above my CPU.
Now I do have an AIO for my CPU (360mm Radiator) which is currently mounted at the top. Its fans are setup as intake fans.
My case comes with three 140mm fans, of which two are mounted in the front as intake fans and one in the back as an exhaust fan.

That means, those three fans of my radiator are blowing warm/hot air through the radiator directly onto my GPU, right? (GPUs fans are on top, since inverted case setup)
Now I was thinking that maybe putting the radiator in the front (fans on the outside as intake fans) and those two 140mm case fans on top (also as intake fans) would be slightly better, since the two 140 mm fans on top would blow cool/cooler air directly onto the graphics card and my radiator can get cooler air through the front. But that would also mean: five intake fans and only one 140mm exhaust fan.

Am I overthinking this? Which one of those two options is better or is there a better option?

Last but not least my rig:

Ryzen 2700x
Strix 2080ti oc
32GB RAM, 3200
Crosshair vii hero
Kraken x72
Dark Base Pro 900 rev2

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 9, 2019

Sadly I can't. I'm on vacation since yesterday. But this is right here is the same case, also inverted and almost the same setup:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LNP3R1LZqQo/maxresdefault.jpg

As described, my radiator is also top mounted and has one 140mm fan in the back and two 140mm in the front.

I also figured, that, even tho I know hot air rises and should be exhausted top and back, due to the inverted setup I have to switch it up. "Worst" case scenario is, that I have to switch it again and have the computer stand on the right side of my desk. Whatever is best, thats why I'm asking :)

Phazoner

Distinguished
Ok I understand, I just didn't thought in the inverted build "problems". Anyway it looks like an overthinking. Just stress it and check if temperatures are ok before worrying.

Jan 9, 2019

Will do! Thank you very much!

Jan 9, 2019
I would advise that top fans be exhaust as previously mentioned. Cooler rad mounted top is doable but will increase cpu thermals much more due to GPU sitting right under it. GPUS tend to produce more radiated heat than a cpu because of the front to back line up of air cooling in modern cases and now rads are exhausting heat straight out of the case or in at the front with cooler air.

If you place the rad as an intake the cpu will be cooler especially mounted on front side. If you have side intakes this will help the GPU (see Dark Base 900 from Be Quiet). I am currently struggling to find a case that can provide the same thermals as my Coolermaster HAF 932 has for the last 5-6 years.

Some tests show no temperature differences with Rad layout but from what I have been reading, thinking this through logically, a cooler exhaust from front mounted rad as intake in a push or push pull setup with high static pressure fans, will be better for overall case temps.

I am looking at a Be Quiet dark base 900 (non pro) because it’s one of the only cases that has a side intake now with nice modular interior. I am going to put this question to the community as I just need to decide on a case.

Jan 9, 2019

I will probably switch my rad with those two preinstalled 140mm fans so that my rad will be in the front (intake).
Since my GPUs fans are faced up taking air in does it make sense to have the 140mm fans at the top as exhaust literally right above my GPU? Probably need to switch around and test it.

To be honest with you, I don't think there is not much of a difference cooling wise between the Dark Base 900 and the Dark Base 900 pro. I can also remove this little side tray ( or make it pop out a little bit). What I can not do is install fans just as you could do with the Dark Base 900. But your motherboard will be right infront. Also your cables will most likely be routed right in front of those fans. Does that really make a difference?
Airflow seems to be really good with either (900 or 900 pro).

one other suggestion that rubix_1011 mentioned some time back - 1st what others have said about rad fans exhausting the hot air out, especially when the rad is at the top of the case, but rubix_1011 mentioned that the rad fans are more efficient in the "pull" mode, and in the "push" mode the air the fans are trying to force thru the rad are what he termed "buffering" and i call turbulent, ie hitting the radiator fins which is a high pressure area so some of that air is bouncing back and disturbing air flow
while in the pull mode, there's no buffering or turbulence

fwiw

Jan 10, 2019
If you could test temps now with your current top set up and then again with a front mounted pull set up with original front 140mm as exhaust fans in top of case to check temps that would be awesome.

Would love to know your results as I am pretty much set on the 900 now. Do not need the frills of the 900pro.

Just make sure that your cubic feet per minute of airflow is greater coming in than out. Positive pressure means less dust. You will need to clean you rad every once in a while if you don’t keep on top of it.

Be sure to have compressed air and blast the rad every few months. The other reason for having top mounted rad would be to avoid SOME of that dust.

Best solution is to ensure you clean the room once a week with PC off.

Jan 9, 2019

Very interesting insight. Also heard, that rad fans in pull will make the rad itself less dusty.

@latgameslat
I will! I'll be back beginning of next week and will test it and let you know!

Thanks everyone for helping so far!

Jan 9, 2019
Hey guys!

So I got back and were about to test either setup. I tested temps running Battlefield 5 for about an hour. Max settings, 1080p (for now). Temps were fine.
CPU got up to 63C and GPU went up to 59C.

I stopped, let it sit for a couple of minutes. Opened my case and found out, that there is no way my 360mm Radiator is gonna fit in the front. The PSU Cover has a little gap, so that you could potentially fit a fan in between, but not the fans I have. The radiator itself isn't gonna fit anyway.

Be Quiet actually claims, that you can fit a 420 Radiator in either the top or/and in the front... Just...how?

In conclusion: after testing those temps I'm pretty sure, my airflow is alright. Might have improved a little, once the radiator is in the front but oh well.

Thanks for your advice and help.

@latgameslat
Sorry for not providing much of a result.