Build Advice Case and fan advice for new build

Nov 26, 2023
I'm working on replacing our 12 year old desktop and doing my first build in about 6 years. I'm currently deciding between two cases, the NZXT H5 Flow and the Be Quiet Pure Base 500 DX. I have some space constraints so I need to keep the height of the case < 18.5", which led to these two. I have purchased a Ryzen 7 7700X, an Asus ROG Strix x670e-f, a Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX, and a Be Quiet Dark Power 13 1000w PDU (the GPU in particular had me discount some cases like the Fractal Torrent Compact). I also have drives and RAM bought, so the case and fans are all that's left...

I'm planning on air cooling, but would like the option for an AIO in the future if I see a need or get another CPU in the future... RGB isn't really a big deal for me, I could take it or leave it, but want a good cool case that will allow these components to work well.

My first question - which of the two cases would you pick and why, or is there another case I am not thinking of that I should look at?

Second - what fans should I get? I was looking at the Be Quiet Silent Wings 4? What fan brand would you recommend in these cases, or would you stick to stock?

Finally - what fan configuration would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My first question - which of the two cases would you pick and why
Both cases are good.
Pick one with design more appealing to you personally.
Second - what fans should I get?
Personal preference again (RGB, aRGB, non-RGB, price, etc).
Stock fans in those cases are perfectly fine.
Finally - what fan configuration would you recommend?
2 or 3 fans in front. One fan in back.

Reactions: mikejs78

PowerPCFan

Prominent
Jan 24, 2023
IDK about cases but for fan layouts you really only need 2 intake in the front and one or two exhaust out the top or back. I NEVER use more than 4 fans.

Nov 26, 2023
The be quiet comes with a 140mm fan in the front, one in the back, and one on the top. Should I move the top one to the front and call it a day, or leave the top one and get one additional 140mm for the front intake? Or replace the 140mm with three 120mm fans?

Would you skip any fans on the top or (in the case of the NZXT) the bottom?
more fans may not be necessary but can help lower the RPMs all around in turn lowering the noise produced by all.

currently deciding between two cases, the NZXT H5 Flow and the Be Quiet Pure Base 500 DX
i like the NZXT better between these two.
it claims it comes with 1x 120mm rear exhaust and 1x 120mm bottom intake.
in this case i would add 2x 140mm intake to the front and probably move the bottom 120mm to the top as exhaust.

in the Pure Base 500 DX the included 3x front and 1x rear Light Wings are decent fans that come installed.
here i would probably add another 120mm to the top as exhaust.

looking at the Be Quiet Silent Wings 4
they are awesome fans that move quite a bit of air at very low decibels.

planning on air cooling, but would like the option for an AIO in the future
the NZXT offers front mounted 280mm, top 240mm.
the be quiet! offers front mounted 360mm, top 240mm.

i don't like AIOs set as intake so either way i would consider it restricted to a 240mm AIO at most.
for the hottest highest-end available options out there 240mm really isn't enough in most situations.

keeping a high-end air cooler with higher-end fans should be fine in just about any situation though.

Nov 26, 2023
the NZXT offers front mounted 280mm, top 240mm.
the be quiet! offers front mounted 360mm, top 240mm.

i don't like AIOs set as intake so either way i would consider it restricted to a 240mm AIO at most.
for the hottest highest-end available options out there 240mm really isn't enough in most situations.

keeping a high-end air cooler with higher-end fans should be fine in just about any situation though.
Even with higher end CPUs? I see AMD recommends liquid cooling for the 7800x3d and all the 7900 series chips. I'm not planning on those, but wondering what an upgrade looks like two years from now ...

And is it worth getting PWM fans as opposed to the stock fans, which I don't think are PWM? Or is that overkill? I should add that besides a family desktop/server, I am looking at this to be a good gaming PC as I now have the time with the kids being older to get back into more involved games, and my older son (13) is also interested.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first high-ish end build and first one in a long time. As I stated I built our current desktop (Phenom II) in 2011 and built a small Plex Server in 2016, so it's been a while and I'm just trying to learn.

Last edited:
Even with higher end CPUs?
there are nice enough tower coolers with very nice triple fan setups that will cool just about anything.

the fans will just have to run near to full speeds and there will have to be a very nice amount of cool air intake and warm air exhaust to keep that temperature under control.
is it worth getting PWM fans as opposed to the stock fans
i would hope that NZXT & be quiet! would both include their PWM versions with these cases, both are higher-end manufacturers.
but these aren't considered their highest-end cases so they may not.

i will only use PWM high-speed fans because i want the system as quiet as possible when idling and with minimal usage and cool as possible while heavy processing.

stock fans are usually mediocre spec.
even though they should come with good fans, i would check with both cases and see what exact versions of these fans they include.
for extra fans; those Silent Wing 4 High-Speed PWM fans are some of the best available.

Reactions: mikejs78