Question Case Audio Cable Routing

Oct 4, 2023
Quick Question - is it OK to route a cable - the case audio cable in this instance - through the PSU enclosure? I like that this routing makes a short, clean install in the front but I'm concerned about both heat levels and interference from the PSU.

You can see the PSU through the case slot.

Thanks

9Ork0mG.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Quick Question - is it OK to route a cable - the case audio cable in this instance - through the PSU enclosure?
Yes, it is fine.

but I'm concerned about both heat levels and interference from the PSU
PSU has it's own, closed airflow path and that cable won't interfere with PSU in no way, shape or form. Also, PSU outer metal casing never gets hot, for it to affect the cable.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
It's difficult to tell from the photo whether or not the audio cableform is screened (with a grounded metal braid) or not, but since the inside of a computer case is such a "noisy" environment from the EMC/RFI perspective, it'll probably make little difference where you route it.

I've tested computers for EMC compliance and had to ask the manufacturer to fit a filtered VGA connector to their graphics output to make good their claims of CE/UL compliance.

If you want true "HiFi" performance from a computer, it's probably better not to use the internal audio cable up to the front panel, but instead make use of the audio outputs on the rear panel.

Better still, consider spending a few hundred dollars on an external USB DAC and remove the audio processing from inside the computer case.

I use a mid-range Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 connected via a USB switch to four different computers.
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic100
0001278_cambridge-audio-dacmagic-100-dac_328.jpeg

If possible, compare the background noise with no music or audio playing and your amplifier/headphones connected to the front and rear panels of the computer and turn up the volume. If you can't hear any difference, then continue using the front audio ports.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's difficult to tell from the photo whether or not the audio cableform is screened (with a grounded metal braid) or not
I have yet to see any HD Audio connector to have dedicated connector for grounding. :rolleyes:

Pin #2 is Ground inside the HD Audio connector. And we can actually see the ground wire connecting to pin #2 from the pic (black sleeved wire).

If you want true "HiFi" performance from a computer, it's probably better not to use the internal audio cable up to the front panel, but instead make use of the audio outputs on the rear panel.
This goes to the territory of audiophiles. For most people, HD Audio is good enough (when using analog speakers). Though, nowadays, most speakers/headsets are USB, so what grounding (EMI shielding) there is or isn't on HD Audio cable, doesn't matter.

Oct 4, 2023
It's difficult to tell from the photo whether or not the audio cableform is screened (with a grounded metal braid) or not, but since the inside of a computer case is such a "noisy" environment from the EMC/RFI perspective, it'll probably make little difference where you route it.

I've tested computers for EMC compliance and had to ask the manufacturer to fit a filtered VGA connector to their graphics output to make good their claims of CE/UL compliance.

Better still, consider spending a few hundred dollars on an external USB DAC and remove the audio processing from inside the computer case.

I use a mid-range Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 connected via a USB switch to four different computers.
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic100
0001278_cambridge-audio-dacmagic-100-dac_328.jpeg

If possible, compare the background noise with no music or audio playing and your amplifier/headphones connected to the front and rear panels of the computer and turn up the volume. If you can't hear any difference, then continue using the front audio ports.
I have yet to see any HD Audio connector to have dedicated connector for grounding. :rolleyes:

Pin #2 is Ground inside the HD Audio connector. And we can actually see the ground wire connecting to pin #2 from the pic (black sleeved wire).

This goes to the territory of audiophiles. For most people, HD Audio is good enough (when using analog speakers). Though, nowadays, most speakers/headsets are USB, so what grounding (EMI shielding) there is or isn't on HD Audio cable, doesn't matter.

Oct 4, 2023
Thanks. Yes - my speaker and line out will be coming off the back panel. The front panel is used just for a headset.