Question Case compatibility/ front panel cables

Apr 1, 2019
hey,
I'm buying a new case, how would i know if the system i already have will be compatible

The base of my system will fit (e.g. PSU, motherboard, drives, fans etc.)
How do i know if my current optical drive and cables to front panel will be compatible with a new case?
I currently have a power button, soft reset button, audio/headphone jack and two USB slots (3.0 and 2.0).
Will the cables that currently connect these to the motherboard be transferable to a new case (assuming the case has those on the panel)?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You firstly want to check the form factor of your components as they are standardised.

For example:
  • ATX Case = ATX MB, ATX PSU
  • mATX Case = mATX MB, mATX PSU

Just as a general idea. Usually, smaller ATX form factors can also fit in form factors large than itself, so many mATX will fit most ATX cases.

Then whatever you have on your front panel - just check if your motherboard has the same connections. You can visit the manufacturers website and check the MB specifications for this. The power button / reset etc will be standard across all cases and boards. But cases will have varying numbers of USb 3 / 2 - headphone jacks etc.

popatim

Titan
Front panel cables (Power sw & led, Reset sw, HDD led, & Audio Jacks), are specific to the case so you won't be transferring them. The new case will have it's own cables to connect to your motherboard. Your motherboard manual will have diagrams of what pins to connect to unless you have an OEM system, such as Dell or HP.

Front USB cables are also part of the case and will connect to your motherboard's USB headers. These are fairly universal meaning OEM's didn't mess with the pinout so that it would break things if you moved the motherboard. Plug them in and they will work.