Question Case compatibility with B450M

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I just want to make sure I am understanding what PC Part picker (Canada) is saying.

I am considering upgrading my case in case I decide to go for the 5800X3D and need to get a Noctua NH-D15.

So essentially, this new case contains a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C and USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A on the front. My old MOBO has a USB 2.0 and USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. So I would need an adapter to get the better speeds. In the event that I do not use adapters, I assume the speed would just be 2.0 and 3.2 Gen 1?

Do adapters increase the wattage or any other considerations I should be aware of? Where do I find these adapters/know if they will work with my case/mobo?

Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the adapter will only let you plug the front port header into your mobo. however, the ports will run at the speed of the header it is plugged into. you WILL NOT see full speed out of the ports unless they are plugged into a proper header on the mobo.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
the adapter will only let you plug the front port header into your mobo. however, the ports will run at the speed of the header it is plugged into. you WILL NOT see full speed out of the ports unless they are plugged into a proper header on the mobo.

I don't quite understand.

Simple case:
  1. If I just put my mobo into this case, didn't buy any of the headers, none of the front ports would work, correct?
  2. If I were to get the adapters, then the ports would work: USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port (at USB 2.0 speed); USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A port at (USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A given I have this connection?)

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
1. Correct

2. Also correct. If it's plugged into the correct header, then port works as it's supposed to. If not then it runs at the speed of the header it is plugged into. Not a massive deal if you don't have any USB c devices.

Sorry, I think I made a mistake.

Correction:
I am assuming then from the pc part picker link where it says: "A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required." I buy the adapter and put it in the header on the case. But because my mobo only has USB 3.2 gen 1, it would be at USB 3.2 gen 1 speed.

Where can I buy this adapter in Canada? I can only seem to find it in the US amazon site.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure about where to get the adapter. never actually bought one of them nor even had a need to seek one out.

my local best buy often has odd things like that. wonder if a local store like that might have it for you. but if amazon does not have it, then i am not sure where to look myself to help out.