[SOLVED] Case compatibility with my components

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

Hello, I am planning to buy this case to replace my pre-built case with practically 0 airflow: https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1854

I also am planning to buy this motherboard to replace the crappy HP proprietary one I have now: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10

I was wondering if the following components will fit nicely (and if they are compatible with) in the case above:
  • GIGABYTE Z390 UD Motherboard
  • Corsair CX650W PSU
  • 1x 2'5'' HDD & 1x 2'5'' SSD
  • ZOTAC RTX 2070 Mini
  • Thermaltake UX100 ARGB CPU cooler
I'm interested if I will be able to connect the I/O panel and my PSU cables to the motherboard just fine in this case. Thanks. I've never "built" a PC before so any additional help is appreciated, specifically about how to install the motherboard properly so I don't fry it.

Solution
Install the CPU and cooler onto the mother board before putting it into the case, but yes.

Use pcpartpicker for components for that case. It will usually notify you if something does not fit.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Here is another question if anyone wants to answer it: In order to install the motherboard, I should place the I/O plate, then place as many standoffs as my motherboard supports (in my case 6) onto the case, then place the motherboard onto the case, and finally screw the motherboard to the standoffs? Then, I'm done right?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Install the CPU and cooler onto the mother board before putting it into the case, but yes.

Use pcpartpicker for components for that case. It will usually notify you if something does not fit.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Only compatibility issue it gave me was that this motherboard has an additional 4 pin connector for motherboard power, but my PSU doesn't. The system is running fine without it right now, and I don't do "extreme overclocking" so I should be fine, right?

By the way, does it matter where I plug in the Motherboard 4-pin power connector? This is how the new motherboard's connectors look like:
BNimgfG.png

Do I plug it into the left 4-pin one or onto the right one still? My current motherboard only has an 8 pin power connector which I plugged the 4-pin into.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
buy a new psu as soon as you can. Yes , technically you can run it like that until the CPU decides to draw more power and it shuts down. This way you do not need to mess with underclocking your CPU

D

Deleted member 2720853

buy a new psu as soon as you can. Yes , technically you can run it like that until the CPU decides to draw more power and it shuts down. This way you do not need to mess with underclocking your CPU
I don't see it ever doing that, I've been running this system like this for a good while and it never did even under Prime95. It's an i7-8700 drawing 65W. I'll definitely buy a new PSU if the system shuts down or if I need to upgrade my cpu.

So where should I plug in the 4-pin? The left 4-pin one or the 8-pin one?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
The 8-pin connector for CPU (the EPS12V Connector, also called EATX12V) is rated for 7 Amps per wire pair (4 pairs at 7 amps = 28 amps), and is rated for 336 Watts maximum (12V * 28 Amps = 336 Watts). The 4–pin connector only has 2 wire pairs, and thus can only carry 14 Amps, for 168 Watts. Depending on the CPU you're using, that may be sufficient, or it might throttle.

D

Deleted member 2720853

The 8-pin connector for CPU (the EPS12V Connector, also called EATX12V) is rated for 7 Amps per wire pair (4 pairs at 7 amps = 28 amps), and is rated for 336 Watts maximum (12V * 28 Amps = 336 Watts). The 4–pin connector only has 2 wire pairs, and thus can only carry 14 Amps, for 168 Watts. Depending on the CPU you're using, that may be sufficient, or it might throttle.
168W should be more than enough for a 65W cpu, and I haven't noticed MHz throttling due to power, only due to thermals, which is as expected considering the pre-built case I have now... I'll take it it doesn't matter where I plug it in. I'll use the 4-pin, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS