Question Case cord connection help

Oct 3, 2019
Hello,
This is my first build and I'm having trouble figuring out where a cable from the case goes on the motherboard.

Case - Antec Dark Avenger
Motherboard - Gigabyte z390 aorus elite

Cord in question:
one side is connected to a case board controller, labeled data.

The cord goes is single from the case but breaks off into 3 plugs.

1 is female PWM 4 pin

1 is female xwd with 2 pin, 1 space, 1 pin

Coming off of the xwd is another cable that says for gigabyte mother boards only. It's a female 3 pin VGD. (Click on pic to enlarge)

Here is a similar pic as my motherboard:

Above the 3 pins in this next pic... You can see 1 pin, but next to that is a cap with 2 pins. So there are 3 pins in a row.

So right now I have the pwm in a sys fan 4 pin on the board.

I have the xwd plugged into the 2 pins, 1 space, 1 pin in the 3rd pic on the bottom.

Is this correct?

I'm wondering what to do with the 3 pin VGD that says only for gigabyte motherboards. Or if I don't do anything with it because the xwd is plugged in.

Should I take off the cap on those 2 pins in pic 3. And there would be 3 pins next to each other for the vgd?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmyt2
Since you have a Gigabyte motherboard, you should technically be plugging in the one that is meant for Gigabyte boards, the VGD. But if it only has 3 pins consecutively with no spaces, then that means it uses a different header and not the 5050 header into which you plugged in the XWD connector, so perhaps the Gigabyte-specific one adds some additional feature rather than being a replacement for the XWD connector - it is hard to say without a manual for the case, and I can't find a case named Antec Dark Thunder online either :/. Did you perhaps mean Dark Phantom? Or Dark Avenger?

Oct 3, 2019
Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. This is my first build and I've researched but can't find anything.

Sorry, it is Dark Avenger.

So I'm right in plugging the pwm into the system fan pins?

And I'm trying to understand the xwd and vgd.

Are you saying that only one needs to be plugged in or both?

In the 3rd pic of the board...

There is the 3 pins in a row on the top ( you can't see 2 pins on the left because they have a cap on them.)

Under that is the 2 pin, 1 space, 1 pin that the xwd works with.

The labeling on the board is in my manual.

The 3 pins together dled v sw1

The 2 space 1 is d led 1

Much appreciated

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. This is my first build and I've researched but can't find anything.

Sorry, it is Dark Avenger.

So I'm right in plugging the pwm into the system fan pins?

And I'm trying to understand the xwd and vgd.

Are you saying that only one needs to be plugged in or both?

In the 3rd pic of the board...

There is the 3 pins in a row on the top ( you can't see 2 pins on the left because they have a cap on them.)

Under that is the 2 pin, 1 space, 1 pin that the xwd works with.

The labeling on the board is in my manual.

The 3 pins together dled v sw1

The 2 space 1 is d led 1

Much appreciated
You don't need to mess with the D_LED SW1, thats for the voltages on the LED strip you are using. You might want to check what voltage yours use, they are either 5V or 12 V, and based on that the cap needs to be on pin 1 and 2 or on pin 2 and 3. You cannot connect anything on the switch pins, it's not meant for any connector.

As for the PWM, that indeed goes into a fan header, I don't know why it goes into the front panel though, it's used to power fans. Does the front panel have a fan speed controller on it? Any way, if it needs it, plug it in. Also, the only way to check what the XWD and VGD are used for is to plug them in one by one and turn the system on - they're only for the LED control button on the front panel, so a little experimenting with them is probably fine. Just plug the VGD into the VGD port on the motherboard, and if it doesn't work, plug the XWD in and see if that works. From what I saw, the VGD was a 3-pin connector with no spaces, so it probably won't go into the motherboard header labelled D_LED1, so just plug the XWD into D_LED1 and see if it works. It could be possible that you have to plug in BOTH if them to get some extra functionality of some sort, but let's just start with one at a time. So, right now, start with plugging the PWM into a fan header and the XWD into the D_LED1 header, and see what happens.

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks a lot. So I tried it and the front fan and front of the case is all lit up.

I got the system booted into bios and installed Windows.

Everything seems to be working fast and well.

Right now I have the cap as it was so it's set on 5v.

I checked the case manual and it is super basic with no mention of what the voltage needs to be.

If it's on 5 but needs to be 12, how much of a problem can that cause?

Also if I put it on 12 and it's suppose to be 5..

What is the best route if you don't know?

Thanks again!

If it works on 5V, then you don't need to change it to 12 V, and vice versa. Having it on the wrong voltage CAN damage the LED's, but I don't know if that is a rare occurrence or a definite event. Either way, no need to mess with the switch now, now that it works, see if you can find a connector for the VGD other than D_LED1, and if not, I guess you should just enjoy the current setup. Are you able to change the LED colors?

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks again for the guidance :)

There is a led button on the case. I can push it and cycle through a variety of colors. Pretty neat selection.

So unfortunately there are no consecutive 3 pin led males on the board other than the voltage controller.

I didn't know that controlled voltages, so it's good to know.

There is a 4 pin consecutive Led c1, but I'm not sure if that would work like a system fan 4 pin that can take 4 or 3.

And there isn't an indication on whether to put it on the left or right.

Maybe this is how the setup should go.

Hopefully this thread can help someone if they run into the same situation.

Thanks again for the guidance :)

There is a led button on the case. I can push it and cycle through a variety of colors. Pretty neat selection.

So unfortunately there are no consecutive 3 pin led males on the board other than the voltage controller.

I didn't know that controlled voltages, so it's good to know.

There is a 4 pin consecutive Led c1, but I'm not sure if that would work like a system fan 4 pin that can take 4 or 3.

And there isn't an indication on whether to put it on the left or right.

Maybe this is how the setup should go.

Hopefully this thread can help someone if they run into the same situation.
Then I suppose you should enjoy the functionality you have now, it's still pretty extensive compared what most people get. Cheers!