Question Case Fan #2 stops working after installation of 2nd SSD

Nov 29, 2019
Not sure if this is a PSU or motherboard issue:

MB: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4
Case: Corsair Carbide Silent 100R (with two case fans)
PSU: 620 Watt Seasonic S12II Bronze Non-Modular
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT (new bios version with OC)
RAM: Patriot DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600
SSD1: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2
SSD2: Sandisk 3D 1TB

PBO and XMP are enabled.

Before installing the second SSD everything was fine. After installation one of the case fans stopped working at some point (realized this because suddenly my rig was heating up and getting noisy while gaming). After unplugging the second SSD the second case fan started working again. Case Fans are getting Power via SATA.

My guess is that either my motherboard has some kind of conflict with the m.2 slot occupied and two SATA devices OR my PSU is unable to handle the load.

What do you think? Do I just need a new PSU or is something else happening?

do you use a direct cable from the fans to the PSU or is a fan controller or adapter used?

Is the BIOS of the motherboard up to date?

check the sata cables

Which SATA ports are you using? Avoid SATA 5 and 6. These are not working while using a M.2 SSD.

Last edited:
According to the manual, SATA port 5 and 6 are disabled on that board when using both M.2 sockets.

If you have anything that draws power from or are controlled by SATA 5 + 6, the component will stop functioning as intended. I've never heard of fans drawing power from SATA ports on the motherboard, but if that's what you use, try connecting the fans to port 1 - 4

Nov 29, 2019
According to the manual, SATA port 5 and 6 are disabled on that board when using both M.2 sockets.

If you have anything that draws power from or are controlled by SATA 5 + 6, the component will stop functioning as intended. I've never heard of fans drawing power from SATA ports on the motherboard, but if that's what you use, try connecting the fans to port 1 - 4

I will double check the connections today. However, the fans should be drawing power via the fan connector directly from the psu. They are not connected to the mb (which makes my initial "could maybe be motherboard" assumption kinda idiotic).

Nov 29, 2019
So, just to wrap this up (and because I rediscovered the tab with this threat): I reconnected the fans and used the opportunity to optimize my cable management. So far it's working out.