[SOLVED] Case fan advice please.

aj2k77

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
I currently have a Corsair Carbide Spec Delta case. It's all pretty compact inside and the air intake at the front isn't the best. I'm only using the stock fans it came with at the moment and a cooler master hyper rgb cpu fan. How beneficial would it be to replace the 3 120mm front intake fans with 2 140mm fans instead and reuse the 3 replaced front fans on the inside of the top of the case as exhausts? My GPU is a Vega 56 and it runs pretty hot so I want to make sure it's staying as chill as possible in there.

Thanks guys for any help.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I get the impression that what is holding your fans back is the lack of venting on the front panel. From the aesthetic it appears they are there more for the striking look than any real cooling ability.

Think I would probably max out the fans on the rear of the case and top exhausting to create negative pressure inside and thus take advantage even of the PCI-e slot cover vents and such.

Three 120mm intakes is somewhat comparable to two 140mm fans.
If you need more airflow, you can replace the intakes with fans of higher rpm.
Noctua makes some good ones that are comparatively quiet.
Here is a 3000 rpm unit:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-a14-ippc-3000-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835608048?quicklink=true
With all respect that is correct but even higher RPM fans will not make the air intake bigger, they will be starved like what he has of air and just produce more noise. The case is the basic cause of his woe....

aj2k77

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated. I got the case for £20 for a first build I've done. Learning a lot about airflow etc now. In future it's something I'll definitely consider more. I think for now I'll get a couple of Noctua fans to use as exhausts at the top of the case and look to upgrade the case to something better a little down the line.

Three 120mm intakes is somewhat comparable to two 140mm fans.
If you need more airflow, you can replace the intakes with fans of higher rpm.
Noctua makes some good ones that are comparatively quiet.
Here is a 3000 rpm unit:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-a14-ippc-3000-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835608048?quicklink=true
The more air you get into the case, the more air will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
The price you pay is more noise.
If the fans are connected to the motherboard, you have some control over the cooling/noise equation.