[SOLVED] case +fan advice

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I'm going to be getting a 3080 soon and I am thinking to upgrade my cooler master half x case to a more up to date one for it, as its very old and very outdated now...iv been looking at the phantek 719 and I really like the look of it and it looks like it will be a good upgrade from the HAF -X. Problem is it comes with no fans at all.. i currenlty have 1 be quiet 140mm Silent Wings 3 in the back of my case, an NZXT kraken x52 which i have in the roof and the 3 stock fans in the HAF-X.one in roof one in front and one on the side panel. But this case has no were to install a side panal fan..so im wondering what would be the best way to do this if i did get this case.

would it be a good option to keep my Silent wings 3 140mm in the back as the outtake along with getting another 3x of them to use as front intake and keeping the same installation with my NZXT kraken having it in the roof of the case? reason I go with the Silent wings 3 is due to the very low noise level. I was looking at other fans like the cooler master master MasterFan SF360R ARGB as its a one fan installation and would be easy to install and cost less. but the noise level lookes to be much higher so i am unsure about this. is my original idea good or shouold I seek a different approach entirely?

Solution
Buy the case you love. It will be with you for a very long time.
The 719 looks to be a good case for air cooling.
Optimally, I would install three 140mm front intakes and a single 120/140 rear exhaust.
140mm fans move more air quietly than 120mm fans.
But, since you have some 120's around put three of them in front and see how you do.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I dont really care if it looks empty. I care about the space ease of acsess and airflow that this case has. A big case is advised for the 3080 im upgrading to. plus I have not upgraded my case in 10 years. and the features in cases now are far more then they were 10 years ago. I just want to know about fans and my current setup for it.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A big case is advised for the 3080 im upgrading to.
A 'big chassis' is advised - I don't know where you got that from, but it's not a necessity.
The FE is a PCIe dual slot, all the AIB models so far, are 2.5 or greater, so the latter can be a problem in M-ITX chassis, but that's about it.
The length hasn't changed either.

I just want to know about fans and my current setup for it.
If you can't be bothered to test what works best in a specific chassis, then follow the general recommendation of front to back, bottom to top, airflow path. That's basically the jack-of-all-trades of fan setups.
Not the best in everything, because the chassis design and hardware used will affect what works best.

Optimally, I would install three 140mm front intakes and a single 120/140 rear exhaust.
But, since you have some 120's around put three of them in front and see how you do.

Solution

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
thank you. I only have 1 fan that I would be able to transfer over to the new case..that being a be quite silent wings 3 140mm. so my idea was to buy 3 other slinet wings 2 for the front,keeping my other one as a back fan..or just buy 2 and buy a seperat back fan taht is cheaper just not sure what one to go for. or other idea was to just get the cooler master Master mastern sf360R ARGB 360. which is 3 120 on a single unit with only 2 connections. and use my current fan as exused. thats the cheapest option. but im a little concerend about noise level..i cant find much info besids it sayijng 8-30db my silent wings 3 is 15.5 db.