Question Case Fan Amount for Water Cooled Tower 900?

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
Fairly self explanatory, but I've got a Thermaltake Tower 900 as a case, and even with both radiators, it still has room for fans on the top, rear, and even for the HDDS (pages 13-14).

My question was: how many are needed, exactly? The case is huge so I'd imagine even with something as large as those radiators and a 4090, I probably would need three at most, with two on the top intaking and one in the rear as an exhaust. But cooling honestly confuses me, and with how giant it is I don't know if two or even one fan would work.

Does anyone have any experience with it or know how much of an impact it'll have on a case this huge? I can't tell if I need more fans because it's so large, or if I need less fans because its so large. Intuition is telling me less, but it would suck to put the thing together only to have to throw in an extra fan or two after the fact because I guessed.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I have the Thermaltake View 91 which is also huge and am running 7 fans. They are great for water cooled systems. The large number of fans / size of radiator is a bonus. If you are cooling both the CPU/GPU in a closed loop, go with 4 fan/ radiator option for both sides, combined with 2 fans on top to pull the excess hot air out.

if separate AIO, get one with 3/4 fans for left to match the number you use for the cpu (aesthetics) . Either way, it will work great.

Reactions: GSF2021

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
I have the Thermaltake View 91 which is also huge and am running 7 fans. They are great for water cooled systems. The large number of fans / size of radiator is a bonus. If you are cooling both the CPU/GPU in a closed loop, go with 4 fan/ radiator option for both sides, combined with 2 fans on top to pull the excess hot air out.

if separate AIO, get one with 3/4 fans for left to match the number you use for the cpu (aesthetics) . Either way, it will work great.

Interesting - good point about the aesthetics thing too. I guess it would look kind of weird.
How fast are your fans normally running? I'd imagine 7 fans can get a bit noisy, but if they're all at low speeds that might work out great.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Interesting - good point about the aesthetics thing too. I guess it would look kind of weird.
How fast are your fans normally running? I'd imagine 7 fans can get a bit noisy, but if they're all at low speeds that might work out great.

All my fans are running on "Silent" (620 rpm) mode using ThermalTake's TT Plus Software. There is some noise. My previous system had passive cooling and was completely fanless so I do notice it, however others tell me it is fairly silent considering it is cooling a Threadripper 3970 Pro.

The noisiest fans are ThermalTake 360 AIO for the CPU. I did want to run a closed loop with no fans like the last build, but couldn't find any CPU blocks for TRX40s when they first came out.

Reactions: GSF2021

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
All my fans are running on "Silent" (620 rpm) mode using ThermalTake's TT Plus Software. There is some noise. My previous system had passive cooling and was completely fanless so I do notice it, however others tell me it is fairly silent considering it is cooling a Threadripper 3970 Pro.

The noisiest fans are ThermalTake 360 AIO for the CPU. I did want to run a closed loop with no fans like the last build, but couldn't find any CPU blocks for TRX40s when they first came out.
Hm. I usually wear headphones, so I doubt I'll hear it too much, and I'd probably only have 5-6 fans if I decide to deck it out. I'll have to decide if the aesthetics of it is worth spending more though.

Thanks again!