Case fan as video card fan??? temp too high

cyclone82

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Guys, i need help please. my Palit GTS250 card fan is making irritating sound so I remove its fan and it's holder and leave the heatsink open. I have an existing extra fan for my CM storm sniper because i changed the exhaust fan.
So I used and placed this extra exhaust fan under the videocard's heatsink which is blowing the air towards it. I have no problem at idle coz its giving me 39C using Hwmonitor. this is a very good temp which is lower by 10c using the original card fan but what worries me is that when i played a game for a few minutes and check the temp, it goes up to 75-79C. the origiinal fan gave me 68c at most when playing almost the entire day. Im pretty sure the 120 case fan i used blows air way better than those tiny original fan of the videocard.
Is there something wrong on my setup? Is this temp real? Or it's just that the HWmonitor software could not detect the real temp of the card because the fan was inserted to the motherboard and not to the videocard slot?. Please help guys, i did not use my pc for games for now coz im afraid it might destroy my card. :(

by the way I inserted the fan on the Power Fan slot and not on the chassis fan slot.

thank you

cyclone82

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
thank you pepe2907. so you are saying that those tiny fan blows more air than the 120mm fan? so these are indeed thru temp that im getting. i always thought this bigger fan can cool my card better. :(