Case fan cable melted and now motherboard reads 127C

jadc

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Hi Guys,

been dealing with computers for 12 years now and this is the first this has happened,

I was change around case fans and put them in the designated slots on the motherboard, fired up the computer and one of the case fans cable glowed red and was melting but now when I switch my computer on at the bios i get " MB TEMPERATURE ERROR" but the computer boots fine.

Under the T_SENSOR1 in the bios I am getting a reading of 127c but the computers runs fine, the CPU idles at 34c and the graphics card is 42c idle.

Done the usual of IT basics, as i have been building computers for 12 years.

it is worrying me seeing that temp, can someone shed some light please?

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/D05L

Specs

ASUS ranger viii
i7 6700k 4.4ghz
GTX 1080
Corsair 600w psu
16gb DDR
3 case fans was 4 (1x 140mm and 2x200mm NZXT)

Thanks in advance all, just can't find this bios error anywhere

Solution
I am making a guess here but seeing that you melted a fan lead that is a good indication of a hard short in the fan. So I would be guessing that the temperature probe on that header (if it is a 4 pin PWM header) probably got fried as well. The best thing to do is remove the motherboard and inspect the back side of it for burn marks. You will need good lighting and possibly a magnifying glass if it is a small burn mark.

My guess is that you will need a new motherboard.

Wizard61

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
I am making a guess here but seeing that you melted a fan lead that is a good indication of a hard short in the fan. So I would be guessing that the temperature probe on that header (if it is a 4 pin PWM header) probably got fried as well. The best thing to do is remove the motherboard and inspect the back side of it for burn marks. You will need good lighting and possibly a magnifying glass if it is a small burn mark.

My guess is that you will need a new motherboard.

Solution