Case fan connections

JamesM910

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Hi, before I ask I just wanted to say I have never built a pc so this may seem like a dumb question but please understand

Now my problem is I have an ASRock h97m anniversary micro-atx motherboard and a DIY PC solo t1-r atx case, and the problem is my motherboard has 2 4 pin fan headers (one for the cpu heatsink and one for a case fan) but my case has 2 fans. My questions are 1: Can I connect one of my case fans to my motherboard and the other directly to my power supply and 2: If i cant make option 1 work, should I have my 1 system fan be an intake or exhaust fan. PLEASE HELP!

Solution
again: you can connect it to the PSU without a problem
but you won't have any control over the fan and it will run full speed all the time (the fan connected to the PSU) which I personally don't recommend (especially if it's not a real high quality silent fan)
when connecting it to the PSU it will run max rpm
there are cheap fan hubs that connect via SATA/USB that you could buy
or you could check your mainboard's manual how much power it can deliver to the fan hub. there are very cheap adapters for connecting 2 fans to one header. but you should really check the manual if your mainboard delivers enough power to the fan headers to use on of these

JamesM910

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

I was looking into it and found that there are things call molex connectors or something that can connect the fan to the psu. Im wondering if i can use one of those to connect one system fan to the power supply and then just connect the other fan to the motherboard, or do all fans either need to be connected to the mother board or the psu. I dont mind one fan always running at max rpm but i just want to know if it will cause any problems if one fan is connected to the mobo while another is connected to the psu (ps thank you for the answer im just trying to find out as much as possible)

again: you can connect it to the PSU without a problem
but you won't have any control over the fan and it will run full speed all the time (the fan connected to the PSU) which I personally don't recommend (especially if it's not a real high quality silent fan)

Solution

JamesM910

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Ok thank you very much