[SOLVED] Case fan controller?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
So, I have a Phanteks eclipse p400s. In the description it says it only has 3-pin fans. So I just assumed you could only connect your fans to the case. I was looking at fan controllers and I was wondering if they could plug into the motherboard. Do they? A fan controller controls the fan speeds, or will your motherboard do that? I have an MSI Z390A-PRO Motherboard, could I connect 4-pin fans? And if I could, would they have a smart fan mode, like my cpu cooler, and I could sync the speeds?

Solution
Yes, you can plug 3-pin fans into 4-pin headers. Yes, you can expect speed control from the motherboard and be able to set the ramps on the fans to follow some temperature in the system. Doesn't necessarily have to be the CPU.

There are many types of fan controller. Some are independent, some will act as splitters for a motherboard (taking a PWM signal from a fan header).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can plug 3-pin fans into 4-pin headers. Yes, you can expect speed control from the motherboard and be able to set the ramps on the fans to follow some temperature in the system. Doesn't necessarily have to be the CPU.

There are many types of fan controller. Some are independent, some will act as splitters for a motherboard (taking a PWM signal from a fan header).

Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

So I can plug the fans into the fan controller, and plug the fan controller into the motherboard?

TRENDING THREADS