[SOLVED] Case fan installation : OUTTAKE OR INTAKE?

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
I'm buying new case fan and asking for 2nd opinion on how to install it. I found an article but my cpu casing is a bit different from the photo in the article.
Untitled.png

This is my CPU casing, the PSU fan has an INTAKE fan inside and Outtake on the outside which cannot be change. I only have an OUTAKE fan which you can see on the above picture. I'm planning to install 2 new Case fans. Should I install it as INTAKE or OUTTAKE? Sorry for my drawing, hope you understand it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In general, top, front, side, and bottom fans are intake. Rear and top are exhaust (outtake).

Many cases allow PSUs to be mounted in such a way to allow them to pull cool air into them and exhaust the hot air out the back.

What is the make/model of your case?

Last edited:

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
In general, top, front, side, and bottom fans are intake. Rear and top are exhaust (outtake).

Many cases allow PSUs to be mounted in such a way to allow them to pull cool air into them and exhaust the hot air out the back.

What is the make/model of your case?
I don't know where I can find the make/model, my case is really old (bought on 2011) and it is an ATX case. I just change my old PSU to new PSU and I'm surprise that it has intake fan. With the old PSU, it only has an outtake fan but with EVGA it has an INTAKE fan. I've seen most of new PSU installed at the bottom but with my old case I can't install it in the bottom. I'm just worrying about the CPU heat getting sucked by the INTAKE fan of PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Take some pictures of the case and host on a site like imgur. This will help to understand what we are working with.

Typically, you will have one (or more) front intake fans and then at least one exhaust fan. Sounds like your PSU will serve as another exhaust fan.

What make/model is your heatsink/CPU cooler?

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Take some pictures of the case and host on a site like imgur. This will help to understand what we are working with.

Typically, you will have one (or more) front intake fans and then at least one exhaust fan. Sounds like your PSU will serve as another exhaust fan.

What make/model is your heatsink/CPU cooler?

This is the case, it's really old lol. Sorry for low quality image lol. My Cpu cooler is currently on stock but I'm on the processed of buying Deep cool Ice Edge Mini. The Fan Installed is outtake, I can't install fan on the bottom cause it doesn't have screws or open access at the bottom, unless you will make a DIY for bottom.
jlL85Xgl.jpg

BY66

Commendable
Sep 19, 2019
I just happen to see your post on the right side of the screen when I was reading my own post.

Excuse me, COLGeek, I thought you can use the top to intake air as well?
I have a Cooler Master MasterBox MB511, which has my 240mm Corsair AIO cooler fixed at the roof. I followed the Corsair manual to have the two fans taking air in. The case has 3 front fans which also act as intake. The only exhaust is at the rear. CPU is ok, 9600K hovering at 35 Degree Celsius at idle. GPU RX 570 is 25 degree Celsius at idle.

Sorry OP, I want to provide some input to you. First, you have to increase the brightness and contrast of you above image, it's far too dark to see. Second, it would be useful to provide us with the case you would like to get. That way, we can help you faster.

I have watched many videos about build. Many people use the front as intake, then rear as exhaust (outtake). This is natural. And depending on the case you will get, if it has the roof perforated, you can

1) leave it without installing fans, no matter intake or exhaust (outtake).
The reason is because, air will be drawn in due to the rear fan's spinning. The reasons you would add fans at the roof as intake is when you consider the rear fan effect is not sufficient. If you arrange the fans at the roof as exhaust, that's called negative pressure which basically you remove air from rear and top and possible at the front as well. This method attracts more dusts.

2) install fans at the roof to exhaust air or intake air.

Anyhow, tell us what case you will get and then we can give you more feedback.

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Sorry OP, I want to provide some input to you. First, you have to increase the brightness and contrast of you above image, it's far too dark to see. Second, it would be useful to provide us with the case you would like to get. That way, we can help you faster.
I really don't understand why I need to have a clear picture of my cpu case where infact I already pointed out where I can install the fans in my first photo. Also, I don't mention or said that I will be buying new case, that's why I pointed out where I can install the fans.

2) install fans at the roof to exhaust air or intake air.

Anyhow, tell us what case you will get and then we can give you more feedback.

As I've said I don't have any option to install the fans on the top cause it don't have screws on the top. Also, I'm not buying new case, I'm just buying CPU cooler and case fans.