Question Case Fan is Hot to the Touch and Motherboard temp got to almost 80 when playing games

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
So, recently I had an incident where my motherboard got to almost 80 degrees and got scared so I stopped playing. I opened my pc and I felt my GPU, Case Fan, and the Fan that is attached to my motherboard and they were all hot but mostly the GPU and case fan. After when I was trying to put the panel back on the pc I nudged it a bit and the system crashed. Swear that it has never gotten this bad before. I cleaned my pc before this happened. I don't know if it made it worse but hope that I can find a solution. I thought about getting a new cooler to fix the problem and if you can, help me with suggestions.

Specs:
GPU: Gtx 1070
Cpu: i56600k
Fan: Enermax ETS-T40-W CPU Cooler w/ Dual ENERMAX Cluster PWM Fans
MotherBoard: MSI z170a Gaming M5

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
New cooler will only help if the old cooler has failed or is otherwise unable to provide sufficient cooling.

There may be other reasons for overheating.

E.g., thermal paste problem between CPU and cooler.

How many HDD's, and SSD's are installed? RAM configuration? Is the system overclocked?

Also what PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

What all did you do and how when you cleaned the case?

You may have bumped something loose or caused some electrical short.

Power down, unplug, open the case and carefully inspect all power connections, cables, card seatings, etc. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to help check everything out. Look for signs of physical damage; wires crushed/pinched, metal bent, etc..

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
New cooler will only help if the old cooler has failed or is otherwise unable to provide sufficient cooling.

There may be other reasons for overheating.

E.g., thermal paste problem between CPU and cooler.

How many HDD's, and SSD's are installed? RAM configuration? Is the system overclocked?

Also what PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

What all did you do and how when you cleaned the case?

You may have bumped something loose or caused some electrical short.

Power down, unplug, open the case and carefully inspect all power connections, cables, card seatings, etc. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to help check everything out. Look for signs of physical damage; wires crushed/pinched, metal bent, etc..
So the oldest items in the Pc are the PSU, Fans, CPU, HDD, MotherBoard All about 2 years almost 3. The ram and GPU have been updated recently so I would say the GPU is about 6 months and the ram is about a year old.
I only have one HDD installed and 16 gigs of ram and the slots for the ram 1 2 3 4/ I have my sticks in 2 and 4 if that makes sense.
This was a pre-built pc when I got it, so it doesn't give me that much info on the PSU, other than that it's a 600 watt PSU. But whenever I look at the PSU inside it just says High Power Model: HPG-600BR-F12S. I have not overclocked my CPU because I actually don't know how to. I brought my pc outside and just used compressed air and a towel to clean the dust off, most of the dust was on my fans and a little filter at the bottom of my Pc for my PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately the cleaning may have caused some damage: cleaning immediately preceding overheating.

Did you use the compressed air directly into the fan blades causing them to spin rapidly?

Especially that " Fan that is attached to my motherboard "; most likely the CPU fan...

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001339.htm

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...unplugged-outside-and-how-to-hold-fans-still/

https://www.howtogeek.com/72716/how-to-thoroughly-clean-your-dirty-desktop-computer/

You may need a new CPU fan. May also be that the cleaning process disturbed the thermal paste between CPU and fan.

Try reapplying the thermal paste as a start.

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Unfortunately the cleaning may have caused some damage: cleaning immediately preceding overheating.

Did you use the compressed air directly into the fan blades causing them to spin rapidly?

Especially that " Fan that is attached to my motherboard "; most likely the CPU fan...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...unplugged-outside-and-how-to-hold-fans-still/

https://www.howtogeek.com/72716/how-to-thoroughly-clean-your-dirty-desktop-computer/

You may need a new CPU fan. May also be that the cleaning process disturbed the thermal paste between CPU and fan.

Yes, I did do that, also yes the CPU fan is what I was referring to. I was gonna get a new cooler anyway and if you can give suggestions, that would be great. No water cooling though unless if needed. I can only get 120mm by 120mm Fans for my Pc though because the Case is not that big.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Remember, hot to a human doesn't always mean hot to a machine.

Try this: remove the side panel to the case

Get a desk or house fan, highest setting, blow air into the case, directly onto the motherboard

Perform the same tests as before, see if your temps are any different. If they are, you might need to address airflow in your case, either the CPU cooler fan or other case fans. If the temp remains the same, you should address the CPU cooler itself.

Reactions: randomguypassingby
That's OK ,Most call it canned air, they use a little of propane to help push it and will come out if the can is upside down. As those links showed keep it upright with short bursts. Please don't open up the case on anything electronic while it is powered up. Follow what rubix_1011 said.
The can was from office depot and it's just called Cleaning Duster and it does have liquid inside.

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017

Get a desk or house fan, highest setting, blow air into the case, directly onto the motherboard

Perform the same tests as before, see if your temps are any different. If they are, you might need to address airflow in your case, either the CPU cooler fan or other case fans. If the temp remains the same, you should address the CPU cooler itself.
I will try this

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017

So my case might be too small because when I got my gtx 1070 it was really big and I couldn't place a wire that powers my motherboard around it so i had to put the wire over my gpu and now it blocks the case fan a bit. I have the CyberPower X-Sentinel MID-Tower.

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017

First test it did not go over 70 in a ranked game of R6Siege

randomguypassingby

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
: HPG-600BR-F12S. I have not overclocked my CPU because I actually don't know how to. I brought my pc outside and just used compressed air and a towel to clean the dust off, most of the dust
So this would be an improvement, yes?

If so, you have airflow problems either in your case or the fan on your CPU cooler - or both.
[/QU
So this would be an improvement, yes?

If so, you have airflow problems either in your case or the fan on your CPU cooler - or both.
Yes, it was airflow, mostly with my case and my terrible cleaning job that messed with the cooling. Thanks for the tip!