Question Case Fan is roaring/Loud until Power Supply turned off once. What can I do?

Jun 25, 2019
Hey There.

When I turn on the Computer, my back chassis/case Fan do not start to go into full speed and make a roaring/loud sound. As if it does not run fast enough.
But when I shut down the Computer and turn off the Powerbutton on the Power Supply, then turn it on again and start the Computer anew, everything is fine again. The Fans are silent and run on full speed. without any noise. Until I restart the PC, then the same Problem start again...

What can I do? I have tried every Bios Option, Tried to plug it in over the 3 pin connector directly on the Motherbord, Tried to connect it over the Power Supply connector, nothing works. I dont want to turn of my PS everytime I shut down the PC, so the the Fans
are silent on a new startup. Anybody know what to do?

I have to say that the Power Supply is a new one, just three weeks old, it is a Be quiet pure power 11 600w

Specs: (fairly old System)
CPU:Core i5 3570K
Motherboard:Asus P8Z77LK (newes Bios aviable)
Ram:GSkill 8 GB DDR3 in Dual Channel
SSD/HDD: 240GB Crucial SSD (System) 2TB internal, 4TB External
GPU:Asus GTX 780Ti
PSU:Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600w
Chassis:Sharkoon Rex 8

As I say the PSU is just 3 Weeks old, had to buy a new one since the old one could not handle tensions proably anymore.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'll ask you to clarify the symptoms for us, because I suspect your problem may be an old fan starting to shown signs of wearing out. A fan like that will behave like this. After the entire system is shut down for a while (does NOT require shutting off the PSU switch in the back) so that everything is cooled off, when you first start up the fan makes a very loud noise. If you ignore that and just work normally, in a while (2 to 10 minutes) the fan goes quiet as it warms up, and stays that way as long as you are running. If you shut down and re-start while the system is still hot ( or reboot) the fan does NOT make the start-up noise. Over the space of a few months, the time it does make that noise from a cold start-up gets longer until eventually it never stops being noisy.

So, IF that describes your fan noise, you have one that has worn bearings that will continue to get worse. Plan now to replace it.

Jun 25, 2019
I'll ask you to clarify the symptoms for us, because I suspect your problem may be an old fan starting to shown signs of wearing out. A fan like that will behave like this. After the entire system is shut down for a while (does NOT require shutting off the PSU switch in the back) so that everything is cooled off, when you first start up the fan makes a very loud noise. If you ignore that and just work normally, in a while (2 to 10 minutes) the fan goes quiet as it warms up, and stays that way as long as you are running. If you shut down and re-start while the system is still hot ( or reboot) the fan does NOT make the start-up noise. Over the space of a few months, the time it does make that noise from a cold start-up gets longer until eventually it never stops being noisy.

So, IF that describes your fan noise, you have one that has worn bearings that will continue to get worse. Plan now to replace it.

Thanks, because i thought it could have something to do with PSU tension. Ill try to explain it in 2 scenarios:

Case: PSU Power switch is NOT turned off and on before Reboot:

If PC is shut down for hours, start - Loud noise (cold system) (the LOUD noise is for the entire running time)
If the PC is shutdown for hours, running for hours, restart - LOUD noise (hot system) (the loud noise is for the entire running time)

proably not full rpm

Case: PSU Power switch IS turned of and on before Reboot:

If PC is shut down for hours, start - silent fans (cold system) (the fan stay silent for the entire running time)
If the PC is shutdown for hours, running for hours, restart - silent fan (hot system) (the fan stay silent is for the entire running time)

seems like full rpm

As if everything depends on the PSU switch turned off/on or not.