Case fan making a lot of noise like the one it replaced

agriffiths2

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Hi
Recently one of my case fans began to make a lot of noise, as if it was going at a much faster speed, eventually the fan broke. As a result I had it replaced with success until this replaced fan began to do exactly the same process whereby it sounds as if it is going at a faster speed. To clarify, this 'speed up'/increased noise is intermittent so roughly every hour or for a period upon start up.
Any ideas would be much appreciated

Over time, fans accumulate dust, and cheap fans usually use a short-life bearing. Once they warm up sufficiently, they may quiet, but you're generally at the end of the fan's life once they are sounding so badly.

Depending on just which fan it is making the noise, it may be an extra fan inside the case that you could simply unplug. Otherwise, it's recommended to replace it with a better fan, since you're already on your second one, or it could be a different fan making the noise, in it merely sounds like the one which was replaced, not the actual replacement fan.

If it's the fan in your power supply or on your CPU cooler, it would be advisable to address the problem before the system suffers any damage from accumulated heat, or becomes unusable.

If you feel confident and don't mind a little do-it-yourself activity, you can easily find replacement fans online, or perhaps head to the local electronics store.

Here is a selection of case fans if you were curious to do some browsing:

http://www.newegg.com/Case-Fans/SubCategory/ID-573

agriffiths2

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Nope, not a PWN
Its not a particularly expensive replacement fan admittedly but it only lasted like 2 days before showing the same problems as the last. Don't mind replacing it myself, just a pain to have to do it so soon.
Nope fan not plugged into motherboard.