Case Fan not recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hey guys! I've was here a year back and I remembered all your friendliness so I have come to ask a question again once more! I'm not sure if this is the right category/sub-category but here goes...

I've recently acquired a Bgears 140 mm case fan. It's a cheap budget case fan but it moves a decent amount of air.

The only problem I have with it is how incredibly loud it is. Even when it is idle. I feel like it is running at 100% all the time.

I have speedfan and have tried to look up tutorials on how to adjust the speeds, but it doesn't even seem like my motherboard recognizes the fan. ):

The fan is connected to the motherboard via a 3pin to 4pin adapter.
I'm currently using a GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 motherboard.

Can anybody help me with this probem?

Solution
if you've connected it to 4 pin molex (like you plug into DVD and old HDD's) then you can't control the speed other than by controlling the voltage.
Something like this:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39066
Will allow you to connect it to a lower voltage connection, hence reducing the fan speed.
if you are going to buy a fan controller, then you might want to buy a better fan, scythe kazi are quiet and shift some air.

Which mobo do you have, are there no 3-pin connectors on it?
if you've connected it to 4 pin molex (like you plug into DVD and old HDD's) then you can't control the speed other than by controlling the voltage.
Something like this:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39066
Will allow you to connect it to a lower voltage connection, hence reducing the fan speed.
if you are going to buy a fan controller, then you might want to buy a better fan, scythe kazi are quiet and shift some air.

Which mobo do you have, are there no 3-pin connectors on it?

Solution

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Well, I've managed to connect it to a 3 pin directly to the mobo but I still can't seem to be able to control the fan from SpeedFan. I basically put all speeds to 0% and it keeps running. The other fans don't stop either and they're connected to a 3 pin.

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong on Sppedfan..?

you need to go to advanced settings on the configure page of speedfan and change the control type of the fan, i've not got it on this machine so i can't give you more than that.
BUT does your mobo support control on those 3-pin sockets, it might just support reporting of rpms, but notallow control.

Status
Not open for further replies.