Case Fan Smells Bad?

Middleman16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Hey guys,

I have a problem right now, you see my son and I made a new system that we are proud of that it works but you see my wife has a problem with the Case Fans or something emitting a plasticy odor. Do you guys know any kind fan or way to solve this problem or else she swears she is going to throw it out.

Thanks

CptCpu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
When you say plasticy do you mean like a burnt smell? or just like just opened a new package smell. It could be because you have a new system. I'm not sure what would cause this though.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
If it's a plasticy smell, ignore it; it will go away after a while. When I first got my case/PSU, there was a bit of a plastic odor for a while. I think that it was coming from the PSU wires. If it's a burning smell, then something has probably fried. What are the PCs exact specs?

Hey guys,

I have a problem right now, you see my son and I made a new system that we are proud of that it works but you see my wife has a problem with the Case Fans or something emitting a plasticy odor. Do you guys know any kind fan or way to solve this problem or else she swears she is going to throw it out.

Thanks

Better check your Vcore voltage.

sailer

Splendid
Assuming that you or your son didn't let any mustard, catsup or other oily substance drip into the computer, many hardware parts emit an ozone smell for a short time when they are new and the electricity hits them for the first time. Even plastic cases can smell for a while. Just spray some pine scent or whatever next to the fans and your wife will not notice the smells. Maybe a bit of her favorite perfume will do the trick.

Middleman16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
another thing about it the computer is that it's an Athlon 64 processor and I just installed 1 80mm Double Ball Bearing Case Fan Vantec Brand. Forgot about what kind of case it is because we threw away the box and the power supply came with the case including 2 sleeve case fans in which we took out 1 and turned off the front one while just running the new 80mm Vantec and the 64's PC Fan. And that it gets the odor around 2 hours of use and more getting worse by the hour.

sailer

Splendid
Yeah, I was thinking of the area around where the fans exit, not the inside of the case. The inside of the case could produce an interesting electrical show and some additional smells of burning parts.

Middleman16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Well I'm going to try to get a new power supply and replace the one that the case came with. Thank you all for the help and if doesn't work i'll tell you all about it. If there is anything else specifically how to to solve this problem please suggest what i could do.

Thanks Guys!

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Well I'm going to try to get a new power supply and replace the one that the case came with. Thank you all for the help and if doesn't work i'll tell you all about it. If there is anything else specifically how to to solve this problem please suggest what i could do.

Thanks Guys!

What are the EXACT specs of the computer, including the maker/model of the case and power supply?

Middleman16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
We are really sorry we couldn't find the EXACT name of the case and the power supply came with the case is a generic with no name that came with the case and the case is obviously generic other then that i can tell you the following:

Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-E Socket 939
GeForce Series 7600 GT 256 MB
Kingston 2512 PC 400

sailer

Splendid
Generic psu? That is a clue towards cheap and possibly bad from the start. Get a good one (Antec, Seasonic, Enermax) and see what happens concerning the smell.

Middleman16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Thanks Sailer, going to go to PC Club in a few and i will see if they have that brand.

Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-E Socket 939
GeForce Series 7600 GT 256 MB
Kingston 2512 PC 400

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Ok bit more advice, here in the UK for something like that youre loooking at paying 120$ ++. If i was you i would get a CoolerMaster 430W Extreme Power. Good price, good performance, high voltage and high quality. Cost me about 40-50$ here in the UK. See what you can do.

In regards to the smell, if you can source it you can wipe the surface with isopropyl alcohol to get rid of all factory residues

Middleman16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Guys, I now have a new psu ALLIED 500w ATX and for some reason the comp still releases that plastic smell but it has lessened, is psu any good or is it making the situation worse?

sailer

Splendid
If the smell is still there, it probably wasn't the other psu. Could be some other part is burning, or maybe its just the system as a whole giving off its plastic smells in the process of breaking in. This is a bit strange, but maybe other computers have done the same thing and the rest of us just didn't notice. Don't know.

I do remember that when I was young, I worked on a car lot and when the new cars came in, they smelled awful. We would wipe everything down with laquer thinner to help, but it still took a few days to get the smell out. Could be something similar is happening with your computer, especially if its a plastic case instead of a metal case. Other than that, I'm out of ideas at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS