Question Case fan speed increasing and decreasing randomly.

Thorfax

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
Hi guys,

Recently swapped my ryzen 5 1600x with a ryzen 7 3700x, and ever since i have my case fans will randomly increase loudly and decrease again at very low CPU usage. I've tried manually controlling them from the bios and that didn't work. I've taken the cpu out and replaced the thermal paste and that also hasn't done much.

Any ideas??? It's so annoying!!

Cheers

That's typical as the fans are responding to low thermal content temperature spikes when the processor cores boost. The only solution is to set up a custom fan curve like this: constant fan speed that's quiet for all temps up to around 65-70C, then ramp up from there. Only let it start to get annoyingly loud around 85-90C. What ever 'quiet' and 'annoying' happens to be is left to your sensibilities and particular fans/coolers.

Some day, I hope the motherboard MFR's will start using an average CPU temperature which is more representative of it's thermal state to control fans and not instantantaneous as they do now. But we're stuck with what we have, so that's the best way to deal with it I've found.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020
Hi guys,

Recently swapped my ryzen 5 1600x with a ryzen 7 3700x, and ever since i have my case fans will randomly increase loudly and decrease again at very low CPU usage. I've tried manually controlling them from the bios and that didn't work. I've taken the cpu out and replaced the thermal paste and that also hasn't done much.

Cheers
Have you checked the case fans are plugged into a chassis fan header on the motherboard?

Thorfax

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
That's typical as the fans are responding to low thermal content temperature spikes when the processor cores boost. The only solution is to set up a custom fan curve like this: constant fan speed that's quiet for all temps up to around 65-70C, then ramp up from there. Only let it start to get annoyingly loud around 85-90C. What ever 'quiet' and 'annoying' happens to be is left to your sensibilities and particular fans/coolers.

Some day, I hope the motherboard MFR's will start using an average CPU temperature which is more representative of it's thermal state to control fans and not instantantaneous as they do now. But we're stuck with what we have, so that's the best way to deal with it I've found.
I've now inputted my own custom fan curve like you said but it hasn't helped.

stretch9x

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
I've now inputted my own custom fan curve like you said but it hasn't helped.
I just finished a B450/R5 2400g build yesterday and was annoyed with the Wraith Spire's fan ramping up and down every 8 seconds at idle. Found that the Fan Profiles in bios is the problem. I manually pushed the fan speed attack to begin at 45c and that solved that issue. BTW, I'm really impressed with this processor. Played GTA5 for 4 hours @ 1080p medium settings and with Rivatuner's fps limiter set at 2 frames below my monitor's maximum of 60 fps speed, the game stayed running between 45 and 58 fps the whole time. Fps and frametime stopped jumping around during gameplay. The game ran smoother than it did on my FX8350/GTX970 system. Running Patriot ram at 3000mhz SPD and with the gpu clocked at 1400mhz the temps never got higher that 63c. No OC tried on the cpu. I did notice that MSI Afterburner cannot read GPU percentage but the cpu usage never exceeded 40%. Thanks AMD!

Last edited: