Case Fan Splitter/CPU Cooler - Both say to connect to CPU Fan on mobo

Mar 20, 2017
1st time builder here.

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E- Gaming
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower.
CPU Cooler: Phanteks ph-tc12dx.

The case came with a fan splitter on the back that can hold up to 6 fans and is powered by a SATA on the PSU.

I currently have 4 fans connected to the case splitter via 3 pin connections and all that is left is to connect the splitter to the motherboard via 4 pin.

I get to that point and then run into a problem.

The case splitter is supposed to connect to my motherboard via the CPU_Fan port. The problem with this is that my CPU Cooler is already in this port, and I cannot connect it to the case splitter because the CPU Cooler has a 4 pin connection, and the case fan splitter only has 3 pin connections.

In short, I have a CPU Cooler and a case fan splitter that are both supposed to go into the CPU Fan port. What should I do?

I have plenty of extra fan ports on my mobo (CPU OPT, CHA 1-2, EXT, H AMP) but Im unsure where I should plug in everything.

Can I run my CPU Cooler in the CPU Fan port and then connect the case fan splitter to a different fan port on my mobo?

Or should I get an adapter so I can connect my CPU Cooler to the case splitter and then run all of it into the CPU Fan Port on my motherboard?

Or are these both terrible ideas and Im missing something important?

Whats the best way to do this?

I will try to clarify if this is phrased as poorly as I think it is.

Im obviously new to this, so I greatly appreciate any assistance.

Solution
The most straightforward option is to simply connect the case fans to the motherboard. That motherboard has more than enough headers. It doesn't exactly matter where you connect the fans, so long as you remember which ones go where when you setup the fan profiles in BIOS. The headers labeled as pump headers are actually just fan headers that can provide more power than normal. If you set them up in BIOS, there are no practical differences in your build. This is the best option in my opinion, as it allows you to monitor the speeds of every fan in the computer. No other option allows this.

If for some reason you don't want to do that, then the controller can connect to any of the fan headers on the board, and you can control all of the...
The most straightforward option is to simply connect the case fans to the motherboard. That motherboard has more than enough headers. It doesn't exactly matter where you connect the fans, so long as you remember which ones go where when you setup the fan profiles in BIOS. The headers labeled as pump headers are actually just fan headers that can provide more power than normal. If you set them up in BIOS, there are no practical differences in your build. This is the best option in my opinion, as it allows you to monitor the speeds of every fan in the computer. No other option allows this.

If for some reason you don't want to do that, then the controller can connect to any of the fan headers on the board, and you can control all of the case fans with the settings for that header.

If you don't want to do that either, get a 4-pin PWM fan splitter, and connect the fan hub via the connection on the splitter that's missing a pin. Connect the CPU fan via the connector with all 4 pins, and connect the splitter to the CPU fan header.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
the nerd 389 is quite correct, excepting one small point. I do not recommend getting a different 4-pin fan Hub for your situation. Those devices only work with 4-pin fans, and yours are 3-pin. The Phanetks PWM Hub that came with your case is exactly the one you need, because it "converts" the fan connections to all 3-pin ports using Voltage Control Mode, and that is what you need to control 3-pin fans. So go ahead and use that unit, connected to one of your mobo CHA_FAN headers as the nerd says.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant a 4-pin Y-splitter cable, not a hub. This would let him run the 4-pin CPU fan off of a 4-pin connection and retains the ability to monitor the CPU fan's speed.

Also, Asus boards can control 3-pin fans from their 4-pin headers. Not all motherboard companies do this, but Asus does in all of their mid-range and high-end boards. In fact, they even auto-detect which type you connect to each header and adjust the configuration accordingly.