[SOLVED] Case fan with tape?

Jun 21, 2020
Hey guys, I've some case fans left that's no spot left for. I want to put it on the bottom, which is like 5CM below the graphics card but there's no screw spot there. So.. is it a good idea to put the a fan with a duc tape + is it a good idea to put a case fan 5 cm away from your graphics card & let it blow air into it?

Solution
I would not say "bad" directly. Just not good.

Sometimes there is a need to rig up some temporary arrangement for testing purposes or as a interim fix for some problem.

With respect to fans and cases a properly designed and implemented cooling system should not require you to duct tape in an extra fan.

And the temporary fix may appear to help but the airflows may be insufficient in some matter and overheating could occur over the long term. Or there could be other side-effects that impact other components/cooling.

Not at all usual for "temporary fixes" to work and work well for long enough become permanent. :)

There are always trade-offs with such things.

Just my thoughts on the matter and others may comment as they...
Hey guys, I've some case fans left that's no spot left for. I want to put it on the bottom, which is like 5CM below the graphics card but there's no screw spot there. So.. is it a good idea to put the a fan with a duc tape + is it a good idea to put a case fan 5 cm away from your graphics card & let it blow air into it?
You can use tape...but you might want to consider velcro or cable ties (zip ties). They look a little neater.

As far as 5cm away....I don't see an issue with that.

Ralston18

Titan
No.

The overall environment (heating/cooling/vibrations) will lead to the duct tape eventually giving way and the fan will move. And that movement will end badly.

The problem is why there is no room left - how is the case currently set up and with what components, and corresponding locations.

Update your post to include build specs and some photographs.

Do you have the installation guides/ manuals for the case and all intended components to be installed?

Ralston18

Titan
I would not say "bad" directly. Just not good.

Sometimes there is a need to rig up some temporary arrangement for testing purposes or as a interim fix for some problem.

With respect to fans and cases a properly designed and implemented cooling system should not require you to duct tape in an extra fan.

And the temporary fix may appear to help but the airflows may be insufficient in some matter and overheating could occur over the long term. Or there could be other side-effects that impact other components/cooling.

Not at all usual for "temporary fixes" to work and work well for long enough become permanent. :)

There are always trade-offs with such things.

Just my thoughts on the matter and others may comment as they feel appropriate.

Solution

Latest posts