Case fans / Airflow (Opinion)

mvnny

Commendable
Feb 14, 2018
Recently upgraded to an EVGA CLC AIO from Hyper EVO 212, and just curious on opinions of where I should place my case fans for decent/best air flow.

Currently I have a 280mm AIO Push/Pull on front of the case as intake then there is 2 140mm exhaust fans on top of case, 2 140mm exhaust in the back off case. I have another slot on top and front for 120/140mm fans. Should I fill them? Switch anything around? etc.

The case also has fan controller which only supports the original 3 exhaust and 3 intake, could I get Y splitters and connect all the fans to the controller?

PC Specs:
Case: EVGA DG-87
CPU: i7-7700K
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 280
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero
GPU: EVGA 1080 SC2 w/ iCX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 16GB
m.2 SSD: Samsung 960 EVO250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Edit:

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W

Solution
Radiator fans should be connected to wherever the manual says they should be connected to.

As for the other CASE fans, there is no reason to connect those to the controller unless you lack an adequate number of controllable motherboard fan headers. If you do not have enough for the other fans, I would get a different fan controller that has enough connections for all of your fans. Doubling up fans on connectors that were only intended for a specific number of fans could lead to overloading those circuits.

Splitting two fans off one motherboard header is usually not a problem, but splitting them off a fan hub not specifically designed for it, likely with only enough headroom designed into it for the number of fans it was designed for...
Radiator fans should be connected to wherever the manual says they should be connected to.

As for the other CASE fans, there is no reason to connect those to the controller unless you lack an adequate number of controllable motherboard fan headers. If you do not have enough for the other fans, I would get a different fan controller that has enough connections for all of your fans. Doubling up fans on connectors that were only intended for a specific number of fans could lead to overloading those circuits.

Splitting two fans off one motherboard header is usually not a problem, but splitting them off a fan hub not specifically designed for it, likely with only enough headroom designed into it for the number of fans it was designed for, probably could be asking for trouble.

Either connect the other fans to the motherboard or get a bigger hub if you want them all on one control system.

Solution