Question Case Fans all suddenly died (Connected to Fan Hub). Does a Fan Hub have limits?

Hi, I have a total of 7 case fans (3 intake, 3 exhaust on the upper and 1 exhaust on the back of my case) - the 3 intake fans were NZXT and they were aging (making loud noise every time I start my pc). Now, I replaced the 3 intake fans to Noctua NF P-12 120mm to eliminate the noise (which it did). In total, 6 of my fans are now Noctua NF P-12, and the last one is still an old NZXT but it doesn't make any noise and it is still running fine.

Now today when I run my PC, i was suddenly surprised when I looked at the temperature of my hard disk drive - it was at 40 degrees Celsius, good thing I had my temperature monitoring software. Had I not have run it, I would have run my PC for more than an hour. It was then when I found out by looking under my desk that all of my Case fans stopped working, however my CPU fan and graphics card fan was still spinning. I turned off the PC quickly and let it cool off. I did several testing again to figure out the problem, and for some reason - disconnecting and reconnecting the extension cable from the PSU to the fan hub made all the case fans spin again. I plugged in one of the new Noctua fans i bought to the motherboard's fan header (to test if the fan is still working after the incident) and it seems to be working fine, so I assume all of my fans are fine but the fan hub may be compromised.

Now with this event, I don't feel assured I can leave my PC away from keyboard as the fans may suddenly die and make my pc fry.

I am not very familiar with fans - usually I read on the net it is just plug and play.
Should I replace the fan hub as it may be defective and buy a new one? Should I just allocate some of the fans to be connected to my motherboard instead to reduce the "load" on the fan hub?

*Btw my case is a NZXT 580 - it comes with a fan hub at the back.

Last edited:
well everything is using amperage, including fans, you need to compare the amps the NXZT fans rea using, how much your hub can handle and how much your new fans are needing and see if your over drawing amperage.
I would take the cpu fan off the hub and plug it on the motherboard , personally that would remove the possibility of that fan turning itself off. even if the rest of the fan turn off the cpu will not overheat.

Uhm, my cpu fan has always been plugged into the motherboard lol (CPU FAN1), i'm talking about the other 7 case fans that are still connected to the fan hub. Its when all 7 of these failed because the fan hub malfunctioned which lead to overheating of my motherboard, cpu, hard disk drives and gpu but my cpu fan was still spinning as well as GPU fans when that occured.

Hmm so let's say i can't find the amperage of the fan hub that came with the NZXT case, then I would just have to plug maybe like 1-2 of them to the motherboard? (no other case fans are connected to it right now) I am not sure the limitations of doing this, other than the added benefit you can control the fan speed since you connect it to the motherboard.

I'm looking for a program that can shut down my PC when it reaches a certain temperature, just in case it does overheat when I have to be away but I have to leave it on.

Last edited: