[SOLVED] case fans am I really that unlucky? or dumb?

Solution
In 30 years, I have never seen a case fan that was DOA on arrival, so while I'm sure it does happen, the chances of it are probably higher from screwing around with them that it is from simply installing them and going on with life.

I've also never heard anybody else express any concern in that regard either. But whatever, it's really not that relevant anyhow.

The most probable reason is that you don't have the fans properly connected, with the key on the fan header lined up with the keyway on the fan cable connector. If those are correct, then the next most likely reason would be that either those fan headers are set to PWM operation rather than DC mode in the BIOS, or they are disabled in the BIOS. Again, it would likely be a much...
Why in the world would you feel the need to TEST brand new fans, before actually installing them in the build? I realize you are just jazzed to try your new hardware and see how they perform, but running hardware prior to actually doing the assembly, at least on the bench, with full hardware, is simply a waste of time and in some cases actually results in damaging the hardware depending on what it is. While that's unlikely with a fan, it's still foolish to test hardware prior to connecting the full build together. I'm not sure what answers you think you will find by doing so.

Since those are 3 pin fans, what, exactly, are you connecting them to on your friends PC and what is the model of their motherboard?

Why in the world would you feel the need to TEST brand new fans, before actually installing them in the build? I realize you are just jazzed to try your new hardware and see how they perform, but running hardware prior to actually doing the assembly, at least on the bench, with full hardware, is simply a waste of time and in some cases actually results in damaging the hardware depending on what it is. While that's unlikely with a fan, it's still foolish to test hardware prior to connecting the full build together. I'm not sure what answers you think you will find by doing so.

Since those are 3 pin fans, what, exactly, are you connecting them to on your friends PC and what is the model of their motherboard?
He's got the same mobo that I'm about to get, Asus rog strix b450 gaming-f. And obviously like I said I dont think I am messing that part :) . I am plugging one in at the top next to the cpu fan header and the other two in the bottom two fan headers

And actually this is the exact reason I had the fans shipped same say and tested today because I know by the time my build gets here and I dont have to worrie about over heating my pc waiting to rma doa fans

In 30 years, I have never seen a case fan that was DOA on arrival, so while I'm sure it does happen, the chances of it are probably higher from screwing around with them that it is from simply installing them and going on with life.

I've also never heard anybody else express any concern in that regard either. But whatever, it's really not that relevant anyhow.

The most probable reason is that you don't have the fans properly connected, with the key on the fan header lined up with the keyway on the fan cable connector. If those are correct, then the next most likely reason would be that either those fan headers are set to PWM operation rather than DC mode in the BIOS, or they are disabled in the BIOS. Again, it would likely be a much better idea to wait until your hardware arrives and then test them out, if you must, on that hardware, on the bench, prior to installing everything in the case. That is the normal way we do things, if we don't just install it all in the case and assume it's going to work.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

The most probable reason is that you don't have the fans properly connected, with the key on the fan header lined up with the keyway on the fan cable connector. If those are correct, then the next most likely reason would be that either those fan headers are set to PWM operation rather than DC mode in the BIOS, or they are disabled in the BIOS. Again, it would likely be a much better idea to wait until your hardware arrives and then test them out, if you must, on that hardware, on the bench, prior to installing everything in the case. That is the normal way we do things, if we don't just install it all in the case and assume it's going to work.
They were all disabled in the bios and wow your lucky about 1/16 of the fans I have order either have a power cord broken, some just not work, a few have actually showed up full on missing the fan pin header for the wire I guess I'm just horrible with luck...

Maybe unlucky. Bad luck Schleprock? LOL.

Could be the quality of the fans as well. Since way back I've generally been very conscientious of the quality and performance of the fans I'm buying whether they are for myself, or for a client. Not buying cheap fans probably greatly decreases the chances of running into any problems with them having broken power cables or being DOA. Since as far back as I can remember I have pretty exclusively used Delta, Scythe, Noctua, Thermalright with some occasional Cougar, Corsair, Fractal design and Phanteks models thrown in. In the old days it was pretty much exclusively Delta, Scythe but Nexus and Arctic cooling were strong performers back then too. By back then, I mean prior to maybe 2006.

For the last ten years or so, I think it's been very hard to beat Noctua, Thermalright, Phanteks, Scythe or Corsair when it comes to quality and characteristics. Unfortunately, while Antec has been around a good long while, they have pretty much always been a company that gravitated more to the budget side of things than they have to being particularly high performance or having very high quality. Seems they are making some changes lately but it's too soon to tell if it's notable or not.