[SOLVED] Case Fans Connection Problem

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Greetings,

I am building a PC and I am confused with my case fans. Before I explain the problem I will include the full list of the parts I've ordered:

Ryzen 3 2200g
Seasonic S12II-520 520W Bronze (SS-520GB)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK AM4
8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz Kit
SanDisk Ultra 3D 2.5 500GB SATA3 SDSSDH3-500G-G25
Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3 WD10EZEX
Deepcool Kendomen

Firstly I want to say, that I've never build a PC before and to be honest I didn't really know anything about the PC parts until about 2-3 weeks ago. I decided to build my own PC, instead of paying someone else to do it. After reading and watching lots of videos about where and how to install all PC parts I decided to check my case and prepare myself until my HDD is here ( which will be here be tomorrow ).

I have watched many videos about the Deepcool Kendomen case and none really shows the two top fan connections.

Here is a link to the case - http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml

It has 5 fans - 1rear, 2 front and two fans at the top of the case.

The rear fan and the two front fans each have a small three pin motherboard connector and a large 4 pin molex connector for the PSU ( if what I see corresponds to what I've learned ).

The problem is the the two top fans have only three pin small connectors ( for the motherboard and they don't have large 4 pin molex connector, as the other three fans ) and they each are connected to a what it seems to be a fan extension cables, which fan extensions cables seem to come from the top front part where the power and fan controller buttons are.

Along with the cables of the usb, hd audio, usb 3.1 and the really small cables ( hdd, power ), that come from the front of the case and through the side of the case, comes a large four pin molex connector. I am not sure if that large four pin molex connector, that comes from the front of the case ( along with the other cables ) is part of the top fans extentions. However that large four pin molex connector does not have small three pin connector for the motherboard, as the the rear and the two front fans. So I'm not sure if that connector is a part of the fan extentions, connected to the top fans ( only guessing as it's not possible to see ) and if that is the case, does it mean it has to be attached to the power supply ( as it doesn't have a connector for the motherboard )?

I can't take pictures, since my phone display is broken and it will be some time, till I get a new phone.

Also, i am sorry for the extremely long post, but I tried to explain as best as I could.

I will appreciate any help, whether from people, who have build a PC with that case or if anyone manages to understand what I am talking about.

I do have a manual and I looked at it but honestly i am unsure of it. And I did watch many video guides for that case. The ones, that happen to be more detailed are in other languages and the english ones are not as detailed (specifically on the the top fans connection ).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
The large 4 pin molex connector will connect to the PSU, it will power the fan controller. Then you connect the fans to the fan controller or to the MB fan_header.

And your MB has 4 x 4pin fan headers, you can use them like in the picture https://allpinouts.org/img/connector_mbfanpwm_3to4pin.png

Hey, thanks for your help!

So, as I understand that large 4 pin molex connector has nothing to do with those top fans extension cables, but only with the fan controller?

As I mentioned above the top fans are connected to some fan cables extensions, which extension cables come from the front, the same way the other cables ( along with that large 4 pin molex connector ). And I don't know exactly where those extensions are connected to.

So basically the top fans are connected to those fan extension but I don't see any cable that can attach the top fans to either the power supply or the motherboard.

Here an example: https://ibb.co/4Vxf6Sw

So each top fan is connected to an extension like that, which other end of each extension gets lost somewhere in the front part of the case, where the other cables come from. I have no way to trace that, or at least I don't know how.

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Yes, the 4 pin molex connector is to power the fan controller only. If the fan cable can either reach the MB fan_header or the fan controller, you don't need the extension cable. But usually you need it because you do the cable management https://www.pcworld.com/article/2144766/the-beginners-guide-to-proper-pc-cable-management.html , like in that linker.

The thing is that I don't know how the top fans are supposed to work, the way they are connected now, which is nowhere to provide them with power, unless they are also connected to that large 4 pin molex, that will power them to the PSU, along with the fan controller.

Here's a link to my case manual- http://www.deepcool.com/download/pdf/KENDOMEN.pdf
which is the same manual I received with the case and the only part that supposedly shows something about fan explanation is the last step, though I don't really understand it anymore, as I am confused now.

Also it seems like some time ago someone else had the same problem as mine, except that I haven't actually build or plugged in anything yet, since I want to prepare first. So here is their Reddit thread ( their explanation at the bottom ) - View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7t89ns/top_fans_in_case_not_working_deepcool_kendomen_atx/

I don't want to really trouble You with the the top case fans, as it seems that my case is quite different ( specifically top fans connections ), so I will understand if I can't find a solution for the top fans atm.

Apart from my main issue I would also like to ask about something else:

1. What is the extra black and yellow cable at 4: 28 for -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EqrDfeLQw&t=123s

I received that same extra cable. Where do I need to attach it to?

2. What is the small connector, at the end of the four pin pheripheral connectors cable for at 7:11 ( the person says they don't know what it is either ) -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--Ms2wy0lg

3. Along with the zip ties, that came with my case I have received a what appears to be a small motherboard internal speaker. Do I really need that?

Thanks again

For the 2 top fans, you can connect them to either the fan controller or the MB fan_header by the extension cable. The fans can be power by the 3-pin cable, also you can control the speed by the fan controller. For other fans ( rear or front), because the fan controller can only power up to two fans, if you use the 4-pin molex cable, then the fans will run at the full speed, you can't control the speed in other word. So you should use the 3-pin so that you can use the MB utility software, Command Center, to control the fan speed. Here is the youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51B9vNjWEsE

For the video#1 it is the 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, which is for the GPU. You may need it, because the seasonic PSU has two pcie power cables, 1X 8pin + 1x 6pin, if your GPU need two 8pin, and you need that 6pin to 8pin cable.

For the video#2, if you mean the small one, which is for Floppy disk, we don't use it at all now.

For the MB speaker, you are better to use it, because it will help you figure out the error code beep if the PC has problem to boot.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
For the 2 top fans, you can connect them to either the fan controller or the MB fan_header by the extension cable. The fans can be power by the 3-pin cable, also you can control the speed by the fan controller. For other fans ( rear or front), because the fan controller can only power up to two fans, if you use the 4-pin molex cable, then the fans will run at the full speed, you can't control the speed in other word. So you should use the 3-pin so that you can use the MB utility software, Command Center, to control the fan speed. Here is the youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51B9vNjWEsE

For the video#1 it is the 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, which is for the GPU. You may need it, because the seasonic PSU has two pcie power cables, 1X 8pin + 1x 6pin, if your GPU need two 8pin, and you need that 6pin to 8pin cable.

For the video#2, if you mean the small one, which is for Floppy disk, we don't use it at all now.

For the MB speaker, you are better to use it, because it will help you figure out the error code beep if the PC has problem to boot.

I don't have GPU at the moment, as I will try to use the APU for a few months ( because of budget ), before upgrading to PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon 4GB with Ryzen 5 2600. But at least now I know about the GPU adapter.

So from what you are saying it appears that the the top fans might already be connected to the fan controller. I guess they decided to spare the buyer that. We will see when/if it manages to boot. I didn't know that the controller can control only two fans.

I already built everything and connected the other three fans to the motherboard and I just plugged the internal motherboard speaker.

Yes, the second video the thing at the end of the four four pin molex connectors' cable. Glad, I won't need it then.

I haven't turn the PC on yet, to see if it work, because I have another problem. I was trying to download Windows 10 to my flash drive, but it turned out I have to have at least 8gb free space on Drive C.
I managed to squeeze 8.5gb of free space on C, but it's not enough and honestly it's just not possible to free enough space to download Windows 10 on my flash drive atm. I know I had to reinstall my laptop long ago but...

So I was looking around and found this video -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiOnBG4e1Vc

But what I see from the video is that the person is partitioning from a disk that already has a 100% free space.

So, if I want to transfer some memory from D to C do I have to have a 100% free space on D? Because I don't have a 100% free space on D.
I don't want to mess up my OS and having to reinstall it. At least not until I manage to run the PC I am building now.
If it's not possible to do a partition without a completely free space on D, then is there any other way, without messing anything up and having to reinstall Windows?

Thanks again cin19

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
No. As long as the space is available to either shrink and extend, you can do it without a completely free space on D.
I have 80gb free space on D, out of 236gb totla size. I am going to try and transfer about 30gb to C.

If I don't write again, within couple of hours, then it means I * up. So, if that happens ( hopefully not ), then I will be back within a week with reinstalled Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
You can do it. Good luck.

Hey! Thank you! I managed to do it and so far I don't have any problems.

So thanks again for your help cin19! It is greatly appreciated!

I have been searching for some videos on installing windows and drivers on a new computer.

Have you watched the videos below? If you haven't I am not asking to watch them, but if you have which one should I choose or should I use both?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwjISmkEJM&t=534s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHS_3qi0kXg&t=761s

Do you have any video recommendations yourself, for installing new OS and drivers?

Also upon choosing where my OS should be installed, does it mean that the drive I install it on would be the C drive? I want my SSD to be the C drive and the HDD the D drive, if I can possibly configure that during windows or driver installation. Unless it's better to be otherwise.

And another thing: I see that on one of the videos, the person installed drivers directly form the product's site.
I do have disks with drivers for some of my components, such as the motherboard, the monitor ( which is brand new ), but I don't have an optical drive on my new build.
Is it necessary to use the discs or it would be better to download them directly from the official sites?

I will be dealing with the windows installation tomorrow, which will be the first time to try and boot the new PC. I hope, that there won't be any problems with the hardware.

Thank you again!

USAFRet

Titan
For your OS installation, read and understand this:

I will recommend the same one as USAFret. And read the guide carefully, remember: 1) connect the SSD into the 1st SATAIII port. check the manual to make sure which one is which. 2) disconnect all the storage drive before installing the OS, only connect the SSD, and the USB boot drive. If you connect other HDD/SSD, the OS will install some of system files into these storage, that you will get trouble later.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
I will recommend the same one as USAFret. And read the guide carefully, remember: 1) connect the SSD into the 1st SATAIII port. check the manual to make sure which one is which. 2) disconnect all the storage drive before installing the OS, only connect the SSD, and the USB boot drive. If you connect other HDD/SSD, the OS will install some of system files into these storage, that you will get trouble later.

When building the PC I was watching this video -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhKcYJ9G1P4
, as I thought it was as simple and well explained. So I connected the SATA III cables in the SATA 3 and 4 ports on the motherboard. I also connected the 90 degree cable in the HDD and the flat one in the SSD. All based on the video.

But watching my motherboard manual http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.2.pdf it shows that SATA III cables have to be connected to one of the SATA III pairs, which is on the right side of my motherboard, while the SATA 1 and SATA 2 ports are separate and are at the bottom right corner of my motherboard. The one they seem to use as an example for the cable connection ( on the manual ) seem to be the SSD, but there they connect the cable with the 90 degree angle to the SSD and not the flat cable. However that same manual has a Youtube link, where they are using the HDD as an example and are connecting the cable with the 90 degree angle to the HDD.

So I am now confused on to where to connect the 90 degree cable - the SSD or the HDD?
And should I follow the manual and connect the SATA III cables in one of the SATA III pairs ( which would be the SATA 3 and 4 ports ) or should I connect the ( as you say ) the SATA III cable of the SSD to the SATA 1 ( and I assume you would say that I should connect the HDD SATA III cable to the SATA 2 port on the motherboard)?

USAFRet

Titan
The 90 degree SATA cable ends are strictly for clearance issues.

In some combinations, straight on both ends are required. Other combinations, a 90 degree on one end or the other.
In still other combinations of drives and mount locations, 90 degree at both ends.

And these drives can connect to any SATA port.
For consistency across systems, I generally connect the C drive to whatever is the lowest number SATA port.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
The 90 degree SATA cable ends are strictly for clearance issues.

In some combinations, straight on both ends are required. Other combinations, a 90 degree on one end or the other.
In still other combinations of drives and mount locations, 90 degree at both ends.

And these drives can connect to any SATA port.
For consistency across systems, I generally connect the C drive to whatever is the lowest number SATA port.
I see. Well since I have received two SATA cables with each cable's end for the motherboard pin being straight and exactly the same and the ends to the drives - one being straight and one 90 degree angled, and watching the video above I thought, that there is a significant difference, so I connected them as shown on the video - angled to the HDD and straight to the SSD. But since you say there is no real difference, but mostly on preference and better placement I will leave the ends, attached to the drives, the way I have connected them.

But cin19 and you, say, that I should plug the SSD ( the manual shows both drives plugged into the SATA 3 and 4 ) cable's end for the motherboard to the SATA 1 pin.
So I am going to remove it form the SATA 3 one and plug it into the SATA 1.
However, should I unplug the HDD sata cable, that is currently plugged into the SATA 4 pin and plug it to the SATA 2 motherboard pin?

USAFRet

Titan
Absent any other issues, it does not matter which specific SATA port you use.

I always use the lowest number port for the OS drive, so that I know which one it is.
My current system has 6x SSD. If troubleshooting something, I don't have to trace each wire to discover which is the C drive.
Consistency across systems ensures that I don't have to 'figure it out' each time.

And on some motherboards, different SATA ports can have different performances.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Absent any other issues, it does not matter which specific SATA port you use.

I always use the lowest number port for the OS drive, so that I know which one it is.
My current system has 6x SSD. If troubleshooting something, I don't have to trace each wire to discover which is the C drive.
Consistency across systems ensures that I don't have to 'figure it out' each time.

And on some motherboards, different SATA ports can have different performances.
Understood! Almost done with downloading Windows 10. So I guess I will write after the installation - hopefully I don't have any issues with the hardware or with the installation.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
I turned on the PC and and everything seem to work fine like the lights, all the fans are running ( although I hear just bit different noise from one of the front fans ).

I went to check some things like storage etc and it shows my SSD but it says it's disabled. How do I enable it?

Another thing it shows ii that my DDR speed is 2133, which I am kind of surprised of. Though it should be 3000 MHz.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
If you installed the OS on the SSD, what is telling you it is "disabled"?

I haven't installed it yet. I just pressed the f2 button, after turning the PC on for the first time, to see some of the specs like CPU, memory, storage etc.

I went to ''Storage'' and ofc on storage device shows only the SSD, as I hve plugged the SSD only, as ccin19 recommended). Next to the SSD shows the capacity, which is 500gb and next to that it says ''DIsabled''.

And then will install the OS.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Oh.
Power OFF
Disconnect ALL drives except the SSD.
Assuming a SATA drive, connect the SSD to the lowest number SATA port.
Install.

What happens?
Only the SSD is plugged and flash memory. Is it possible to cause that because of the flash?

I will check the SSD cables once again.

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Sorry for not writing back. I had to finish some things.

I plugged the SSD cable to the SATA 1 pin and started the PC and then just presed Del button and it started the instalation of WIndows 10.

Now the installation finished.

Firstly, I would like to ask where can I install internet drivers from and whether I can use my current internet cable for the new PC or I will have to contact my internet provider for that?

Also can I use the DVDs with the drivers for my motherboard, monitor and copy them on my flash, so I can install them on the new PC? And can you forward me to any guides for that?

Also after the instalation I plugged in the HDD drive but only the C drive shows up.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The driver for your LAN adapter should have been installed by the OS. But if it wasn't, you get it from the motherboard manufacturer.
As with all other driver you need. Directly from the device manufacturer.

Your ISP need not get involved. Your current cable will work.

Can you do it from the CD/DVD you have? Sure. But those are almost certainly old. Best to download the current ones.

TRENDING THREADS