Question Case Fans Flashing when gaming after CPU upgrade and Case Swap

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hey guys I've encountered a hiccup here and wanted to get some ideas on what to trouble shoot.

I recently upgraded my 3700x processor to a 5900x, and swapped my old case for a Lian Li 215 Mesh. Here are the other specs:

5900x
64 GB 3200 Trident Z ram (XMP profile 1 enabled)
MSI X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard
EVGA 2060 KO Ultra GPU
Viotek 34 inch Ultrawide Monitor (144hz enabled)
Cooler Master 750w Gold Fully modular
Noctua U12s with rear 120mm fan for push pull
Noctua 140mm for top rear exhaust

The case swap and cpu transfer went smoothly. Everything appears to work as it should. But i noticed something was up when I tried playing a few games. I was playing Apex legends this morning and everything went fine until I went into matchmaking. The game was still playing fine but I noticed the two front panel RGB fans went dark and then started flashing white every few seconds.

My immediate thought was this was some kind or warning or loose connection. So I shut her off and opened the case to see if I could find anything. I had added threaded cable extensions for the GPU and motherboard plug for the aesthetic and did notice one side of the MB plug was loose by a hairline. I checked every other connection to the power supply and my ARGB headers as well.

I hoped i had the problem solved and restarted the PC. So far so good. Then I went back into Apex legends , then matchmaking and the case fans lasted a minute or so longer this time. However sure enough they went dark and started flashing white again.
Everything runs perfectly fine when idling or browsing the web, but when gaming something is triggering the front panel lights to flash. This happens on other games as well.

I am on the latest bios and chipset driver and I am running on Windows Balanced Power plan. I should also note that when gaming the experience is fine, I can control the FPS no problem, no random frame dropping or anything. Getting constant 140/120/or 60 FPS depending on settings.

What should I start trouble shooting? Is 750w PSU not enough for this set up anymore?

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
many types of motherboard or other LED control software have options for automatic RGB game profiles.
there should be options to disable this effect in the LED\RGB options.

not many games actually implement the tech but some do.

I checked MSI dragon center and I dont appear to be in any kind of gaming mode. Anything else I should look for?

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
One thing I have noticed is that if I unsync the case fan LEDs to the motherboard they will run their light modes via the LED button no problem. But when I sync it to the motherboard it starts flashing white while gaming. When I stop playing it returns to the light mode I had set in mystic light.

Last edited:

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Well guys after enough freaking out I finally figured out the issue. I discovered that my Power LED (-) was upside down with the lettering facing up. I dont know why this only caused problems when gaming, but flipping it back over solved the problem.