[SOLVED] Case fans have two molex connectors

Oct 25, 2020
We purchased a case yesterday named Viking Shield VKS-34. Not much info on the internet for it, let alone a website.
The issue I have is with its pre-installed case fans (three pieces on the front) that do not light up even when they're spinning. They're plugged directly to the PSU using their 4 pin molex male/female connectors that I interconnected. The lights on the fans only light up for one second then it turns off.
Each fan has 1 female 2 pin molex connector that I did not plug. Do I need to plug them or at least one of them to light up the fans? Because I do not know what they're for and I think they power the lights (Though I am afraid of trying because I'm afraid I'll overload it or something sorry lol). Any thoughts?

Solution
I'm getting a picture, molex from to powersupply to fan1 male, fan1 female to fan2 male then fan 2 female to fan 3 male. Fans are powered.

If available plug fans into Motherboard fan headers using 3 pin connector(setup as voltage control in bios) If you dont have enough headers on MB then use the molex to jumper 1 to the other.
Lighting is just 2 pins ? I would try to connect 5volts and see what happens. You may need an adapter to match plugs if power supply does not have one that will match wire colors on plugs.
The box should have contained directions.
Most cases with lighted fans come with some type of controller / selector switch. Is there anything in case to control lights?
Need a better description, 4 pin molex male/female connectors - does each fan have a male and female 4 pin molex connector?
If they are just molex connectors and no directions then what happens when you plug them into powersupply?
Also let us know what color wires the two wire on ate female plug are. 5v red, 12v yellow.

Last edited:
Reactions: jberrrrt
Oct 25, 2020
thank you for the response.
unfortunately there's no instructions on the box..
I don't see any button on the case, however the reset switch is also labeled as "LED" for some reason. (bottom label says "Reset", label on top of the button says "LED"), which just restarts the pc when pressed..
yes all fans have a 4 pin male/female molex connectors each, as well as a 3 pin connector that plugs into the motherboard and the mentioned female 2 pin molex connector, which means that each fan has a total of 3 connectors each. The fans are plugged through their 4 pin male/female molex connectors that are plugged together to a molex cable of the PSU.
Result is: fans are spinning, but no lights.. apparently the fans are RGB fans too.
the female molex cable has a black and red cable.

I'm getting a picture, molex from to powersupply to fan1 male, fan1 female to fan2 male then fan 2 female to fan 3 male. Fans are powered.

If available plug fans into Motherboard fan headers using 3 pin connector(setup as voltage control in bios) If you dont have enough headers on MB then use the molex to jumper 1 to the other.
Lighting is just 2 pins ? I would try to connect 5volts and see what happens. You may need an adapter to match plugs if power supply does not have one that will match wire colors on plugs.

Solution
Oct 25, 2020
I'm so sorry I'm so dumb lol the 2 pin molex is actually a MALE molex connector.
I would try connecting the fans to the chassis fan header however the cable is not long enough..
Can I just plug the 2 pin molex to the end of the molex connector of the PSU where the 3 4 pin male/female molex connectors are plugged into?

TRENDING THREADS