[SOLVED] Case Fans not showing up in BIOS

May 23, 2021
I recently built my system but my Case Fans are not showing up in the BIOS. I'm not too sure if they get detected by the system since I don't have Windows installed yet.

Here is some additional info:

• For the fans I'm using six Lian Li Unifans hooked up to their hub.
  • My motherboard is the Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master.
  • The fans start spinning with their lights on as soon as I power up the system.
  • My AIO is working as intended and showing in the BIOS.

Solution
If the hub is controlled over a USB, I'm guessing it is simply running the default/last-known preset until the control software is loaded to change it since a Gigabyte motherboard would have no clue what to do with a Lian Li fan/RGB hub. The motherboard only knows about fans and RGB connected to its on-board fan and RGB headers.

InvalidError

Titan
If the hub is controlled over a USB, I'm guessing it is simply running the default/last-known preset until the control software is loaded to change it since a Gigabyte motherboard would have no clue what to do with a Lian Li fan/RGB hub. The motherboard only knows about fans and RGB connected to its on-board fan and RGB headers.

Solution
May 23, 2021
Cheers, I will report back once I installed Windows and ran the Lian Li software!

May 23, 2021
Okay so the fans do show up as one fan in the BIOS now. Only problem I have is that the fan curves appears to not be working. They ramp up to ~85% of their max rpm without anything running. I'd prefer if they change speed according to how hot my system is/how strong the components are under use. (e.g slow/quiet while browsing, fast/loud while rendering, gaming, etc.)

InvalidError

Titan
How does it show up in BIOS? As a USB fan controller or connected to one of the motherboard's 4-pin PWM fan headers? A USB fan controller operates under software control, you need to use the software to tell it what "sensor" to use for speed control and that sensor will require software polling to update unless it is internal to the controller.

If you want the fan hub to be controllable from BIOS, you will need to configure the controller to take its fan speed cue from a PWM header, connect the hub's PWM input if it has one to a motherboard header and then configure that header with whatever fan curve you want.

May 23, 2021
It's connected to a PWM fan header. I set my fans to PWM since Lian Li's software is pretty <Mod Edit> so you can't set a fan curve there anyways. I don't belive it's working as intended though, like I said earlier, the fans ramp up to ~85% without anything running.

With my motherboard's default fan curve that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A few points.

1. FYI, any mobo fan header can accept the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So, when you use a Hub, that Hub will send back to the host header the speed of ONE of its fans and ignore all the rest. This does NOT affect ability to control speeds. And if all the fans are the same (as yours are), you just presume they all are doing the same thing. However, this does have an impact on another item. The second function of a fan header is to monitor the speed signal for fan FAILURE (i.e., so speed signal) and put out a warning if that happens. When a Hub is involved the speeds of the "other" fans cannot be monitored, so from time to time YOU should check that all the fans still are working.

2. The Lian Li web page for these fans points out that they must be used with their Uni Hub. Then you have the choices to have that Hub's software utility control the fan speeds AND the fan LIGHTS, OR to turn over either or both of those controls to signals from MOBO headers. These choices are made using switch settings in that software. To have one mobo fan header control the speeds of the fans, you must connect the proper cable to that header. Similarly, to have a mobo 3-pin ARGB header control the LIGHTS in the fans, there is another cable connector from the Hub for that. It appears from the web page that the cable for these connections MAY be an optional purchase, rather than something included with the Hub - not clear.

3. On that website

I note that is says there have been changes to their software in response to user feedback about failure to work with some systems. It refers you to their Tech Support people if you are having trouble, and also offers a free download of a software "fix", with specific installation instructions shown. Check into that fully in case these items are essential for your system.